What's new

Suggestions For Captive Portal Setup on LAN Port /Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arlo

New Around Here
im on a tablet. excuse my punctuation.
i would like to see if a cp can be setup for a single lan port on a rt-ac68u.
i'll be using a ubiquiti ap pro wired to a router port. the router is attached to a d-link firewall
an hp laserjet with ethernet port is plugged into another router lan port.

i have taken on a task for a small library where the previous it tech walked off.
i was left with no credentials to log into the ap and firewall and ended up factory resetting everything. i do know that the installer placed the equipment and assumed it would configure the system.
printer and ap was plugged directly into the firewall with no switch.

after some teeth pulling ubiquiti told me that a guest acct with captive portal on the ap would not allow network printing. i found an admin acct let me ping the printer and print. but then i lose the portal. ive had the library purchase an asus router, and im using a new one at home.

they need a portal for wireless and for 8 workstations which are wireless. ill be using the router wifi for staff with password protected access and perhaps a portal. guests with laptops and tablets need to have printing support.

could someone throw me a few pointers please? ive searched forums to see if using the router can enable a portal on wired lan ports but am not having much luck.

after some teeth pulling ubiquiti told me that a guest acct with captive portal on the ap would not allow network printing. i found an admin acct let me ping the printer and print. but then i lose the portal. ive had the library purchase an asus router, and im using a new one at home.

Did you whitelist the printer's IP address in the ubiquiti?
Its in:
Settings>Guest Control>Allowed subnets
enter the printer IP address
eg. 192.168.1.40/32

the ap is set static at 192.168.1.120, printer is static at 192.168.1.145.
the router is currently set to assign dhcp from 192.168.1.100-200. subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

i got a feeling that in the ap in allowed subnets the default was the problem. after getting a few errors of invalid subnet setting, i started reading. i'm a bit embarassed to say that subnet settings in this format (192.168.1.40/32) is my weakness. im used to using octets. and this is the first device i've had to deal with using a slash format. nevertheless, not being at the library today and not having setup the firewall to let me remote in, i'll give it a try. i just need to figure how to format the sub setting in the ap to allow pinging the printer.

thanks for the help. i have pretty good experience and alot of over the shoulder looking in network configs. i have been the hardware guy for years, just never needed in depth "driving", so to speak.

although not implemented yet, the captive portal is next. i was thinking that using the router wifi, which printing can be done, and dd-wrt would let me do both, and shut off the ap pro.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!