What's new

Virgin Superhub 3 + AX56U/AX58U/AC66U_B1/AC68U: Will I benefit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richhaydock

New Around Here
I have read a lot or reports that pairing a SH3 with a router has many benefits however I'm not sure if they apply to me. I definitely encounter the SH3 instability with fairly frequent restarts!

Mainly I'm unsure if a separate router will provide me with range improvements. My internet connection is Virgin's M200 package which is 200Mbps down.

I have attached a photo of the floorplan of my house (conveniently still around from when I bought it!). My house is far from large being about 4m x 9m in total footprint. Some speeds and key placements are below (speeds measured with my Pixel 5 phone),
  • Where the router is placed (middle floor front of the house)
    • 166 down, 20 up, 16ms
  • Where my home office is (ground floor, directly below router)
    • 200 down, 20 up, 16ms
  • Where my gaming room is (top floor, back of the house)
    • 82 down, 18 up, 17ms
  • (not shown) The garage which is to the back/left of the house where I have a TP-Link TL-WA801ND solely providing an ethernet port for my CCTV recorder
    • About 5 down, very edge of the range

In terms of devices we commonly have,
  • Two phones
  • PS4 & Switch
  • TV (wired)
  • Virgin Tivo (wired)
  • Four laptops (one WiFi 6)
  • Gaming PC (Intel AX200 WiFi 6 PCIe card - I'd love to cable this however it's currently not proving simple!
  • TP-Link TL-WA801ND in garage
  • Google Nest Mini
For a separate router I've so been looking at the Asus RT-AX56U (~£100), the Asus RT-AX58U (~£165), RT-AC66U_B1 (£109) or RT-AC68U (£120).

Sorry for the lengthy post but hopefully all the info is there! Do you think a separate router would benefit me and am I looking at the right ones?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210126_125757384_2.jpg
    PXL_20210126_125757384_2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited: