Swap,fstab

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Fab30, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Fab30

Fab30 Regular Contributor

Hi, please, how can i configure autostart swap file on SD card?
    is on /dev/sdb1. THX

2. joegreat

joegreat Senior Member

How to setup a swap partition?

Hi,

First: SDcard for swap is not a good idea - search the forum why this is so! :confused:

Secound: As your router has a kind of Linux installed you can use the standard Linux commands for the job!
    You need to partition your USB device with fdisk command to have a swap partition, then you can use swapon command to enable the swap.

With Merlin's firmware you can enable it automatically via user-script (e.g. pre-mount wloud be a good place).

So: Some searching in the forum and Google will give you all you need!
    And: You will learn real(!) Linux. :)

With kind regards
    Joe :cool:

3. brusyev

brusyev Occasional Visitor

I am in the same boat where my router constantly runs out of resources when I sync files to my drive attached to RTN66U. I also have a class 10 sd card installed inside the router. I searched the forum and did not find any posts to why it is bad to use it as swap...I tried to implement pre-mount scipt and was not able to get it to work....I do have my SD card formated as ext2...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  4. lwizard

lwizard Regular Contributor

Generally it's a bed idea because flash memories have a limited RW life. So a SWAP partition on them makes their life much shorter.
    But if the memory is cheap I think you could consider giving a try (but I don't know whether a read failure on SWAP could bring a crash in linux or not).

Also if you set a swap partition in linux you must avoid formatting it. Another option is to format it and use a swap file.