What's new

Swapped out my modem but I'm not getting all of the downstream channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meri Gould

New Around Here
Thanks in advance for reading this!

I didn't want to pay the modem rental fee anymore and decided to purchase my own modem which is compatible with my ISP. I use Optimum Online in NYC and have the 200mbps plan.

The original modem was an Arris TM822 and the replacement was a TM1602. The main difference seemed to be a difference in the downstream channels. The 822 had 8 while the 1602 is supposed to have 16. Both have 4 upstream. However when I looked at the Arris status page it is only registering 12 channels. I've attached a picture of both the status page and a speedtest.

Is this a limitation of my network not being able to utilize all 16 channels or is there a larger issue? Also is the 12 channels it is using appropriate for my speeds where I wouldn't notice a difference between 12 and 16 channels?

Thanks again for any insight into this as I'm not too familiar with the inner working of modems.

Attachments

• 1602.png
    1602.png
    346.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    287 KB · Views: 1,366
Thanks in advance for reading this!

I didn't want to pay the modem rental fee anymore and decided to purchase my own modem which is compatible with my ISP. I use Optimum Online in NYC and have the 200mbps plan.

The original modem was an Arris TM822 and the replacement was a TM1602. The main difference seemed to be a difference in the downstream channels. The 822 had 8 while the 1602 is supposed to have 16. Both have 4 upstream. However when I looked at the Arris status page it is only registering 12 channels. I've attached a picture of both the status page and a speedtest.

Is this a limitation of my network not being able to utilize all 16 channels or is there a larger issue? Also is the 12 channels it is using appropriate for my speeds where I wouldn't notice a difference between 12 and 16 channels?

Thanks again for any insight into this as I'm not too familiar with the inner working of modems.

Looking at your modem status page it doesn't reveal if your ISP is using more than 12 channels. The channels that are shown are all channels between 24 - 36 with no gaps. On my 16/4 modem I am locked on 16 random channels between 1 -24 so I can assume that there are 24 downstream channels.

Looking at your modem status page it doesn't reveal if your ISP is using more than 12 channels. The channels that are shown are all channels between 24 - 36 with no gaps. On my 16/4 modem I am locked on 16 random channels between 1 -24 so I can assume that there are 24 downstream channels.
Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion if I'm getting the rated speed (200mbps) during my speedtest should I not concern myself with having access to the other 4 channels?

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion if I'm getting the rated speed (200mbps) during my speedtest should I not concern myself with having access to the other 4 channels?

More channels are better in because in case of network congestion your modem has more options/ channels to avoid it. Eight channels should get you the bandwidth you are paying for any beyond that are just for insurance.

The only way to find out if your ISP is using more than twelve channels is to call them or call a friend. The way your modem had linked up with twelve consecutive channels with no gaps didn't offer a clue if there might be other channels available on your network.

More channels are better in because in case of network congestion your modem has more options/ channels to avoid it. Eight channels should get you the bandwidth you are paying for any beyond that are just for insurance.

The only way to find out if your ISP is using more than twelve channels is to call them or call a friend. The way your modem had linked up with twelve consecutive channels with no gaps didn't offer a clue if there might be other channels available on your network.
ok thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

As long as you're getting the bandwidth you're contracted for - you should be ok...

DOCSIS modems do a handshake with the CMTS head end, and it's under the control of the ISP...

If you're not getting the right bandwidth, contact the ISP's customer care team - it might be as simple as them pushing a new profile to the modem...

As long as you're getting the bandwidth you're contracted for - you should be ok...

DOCSIS modems do a handshake with the CMTS head end, and it's under the control of the ISP...

If you're not getting the right bandwidth, contact the ISP's customer care team - it might be as simple as them pushing a new profile to the modem...
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am getting the 200mbps I'm paying for. I just want to make sure that there isn't any extra latency or other not easily seen disadvantages with 12 channels instead of 16.