What's new

Switch reporting connection 1Gbps, AP reporting 100Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
So here is an odd case. Having looked into every detail and setting of my LAN, i noticed today that my Linksys EA6400 access point reports the connection to the switch as a 100 Mbps connection whilst the Switch port reports it as a 1000Mbps connection. I know that both the AP and Switch have 1Gbps ports.

This is very strange. Where do i need to look?

Cables go bad all the time. A crimp can loosen up which will cause issues.

I haven't been able to resolve this yet and in fact, i misdiagnosed this the first time but i think i have moved closer to the root cause.

It is the connection between my switch and the Linksys XAC1900 which is configured as AP rather than the EA6400. The Linksys WAN connection still indicates this is a 100mbps link while the Netgear switch still indicates this is a 1gbps link. On top of that, my Samsung TV which is has a hardwired connection to the switch of the Linksys AP, has started to intermittently connect and disconnect at random times. On the other side, i do get good speedtest results (191/19 on an 200/20 ISP connection) when connected via wifi to the Linksys AP with my Macbook Air which would be a stretch for a Cat 5 cable.

Last weekend, i moved my server rack to it's final position in the house and re-routed all UTP cables to be connected to the patchpanel in my server rack. While punching the UTP cable connected to the WAN of the Linksys into the patch panel, i did notice that the cable is still an old Cat 5 cable and not Cat 5e or Cat 6. Also i noticed that when punching the wires onto the patch panel, that not all the wires of the cable made an initial connection to the patch panel so i had to manual push them deeper into the knives which probably has much to do with the wire gauge difference between a cat 5 and cat 5e. In the end, my cable tester indicated all 8 connections and sequence were ok. Nevertheless, i have a high suspicion that the cat 5 cable is the issue and needs replacing by a Cat 6.

Fact is though that this cable is not the easiest to replace as it goes through a sealing into a wall socket. I will have a go at it over the weekend as the fact is that now i know it is a Cat 5 cable, it needs,replacing anyways.

So here is an odd case. Having looked into every detail and setting of my LAN, i noticed today that my Linksys EA6400 access point reports the connection to the switch as a 100 Mbps connection whilst the Switch port reports it as a 1000Mbps connection. I know that both the AP and Switch have 1Gbps ports.

This is very strange. Where do i need to look?

Well, i cracked this one finally! Last week i replaced the LinksysXAC1900 with a Netgear R7000 as AP as the linksys switch intermittently would connect/disconnect the TV. It turns out that the switch was not the only thing buggy about the Linksys router. After connecting the R7000, it reported the WAN connection correctly as 1Gpbs but it reported the TV on LAN as 100Mbps. It seems that the TV only has a 100Mbps port. The linksys just reported both ports wrongly in the webinterface. Saves me from replacing a cable for now :)

I have some old CAT5 cable which was high quality in it's day that runs fine at gig speeds.

Well, since the change-over, no issues anymore. And for the Cat 5 cable, i get around 190 Mbps out of it on a 200Mpbs internet connection via the R7000 wireless so until i ever upgrade to a faster connection and i notice that the cable might become a bottleneck, it stays where it is :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!