What's new

Switch works but does not show on router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aj_84

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I've recently got a new setup for my house including a Draytek 2860 (standalone) router and a Netgear JGs516pe-100eus/

The switch works fine however it does not show up on the draytek console as a connected device. Am I correct in saying this is wrong?
My understanding is as it has an IP address and is a managed switch, it should show.
The issue initially was that the switch was getting an IP address via DHCP that I did not want it to get. I have now set it to static but unless the router can see it, there is almost no point assigning the mac for the switch an ip via router and is then at risk of getting a collision ?

Thanks
AJ

Sorry can someone move this into the Routers sub-group - I think it's more a router issue than a switch?

Can you access the managed switch by surfing to it's IP?

Did you set the IP as static at the Netgear device itself or did you setup a DHCP reserved IP at the router?

Yup certainly can - I can go to the address and access the web managed portal/change settings etc
The IP is set to set to to static via the router (reserved by mac>IP) and also via the switch (turning off DHCP and setting a static ip)

I'd forego the static IP assignment at the client and completely rely on DHCP reservation, unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

only that generally I would pick a MAC up via the draytek panel from existing devices but the fact it cannot see the switch in the first place means it does not appear.
I did put the mac in manually and bound it to an IP without the static entry in the switch but it didnt work and ignored the reservation altogether

If you config static IP at the client, the router never sees any DHCP activity, which may be why the device is not showing up.

I dunno how the Draytek populates the list, but it may rely on DHCP assignment.

I thought that too initially but no go there either because the home automation and synology nas are both static and reserved - both show up on the router list :)
Really strange one - if it was not a managed switch with an IP then fair enough but as far as I see it, the netgear is a device in itself with an IP address etc

Personally, if there's no other problems, I'd forget about the device not showing in Draytek's device listing.

Is there some functionality that you are wanting that is not working?

Hi all,
I've recently got a new setup for my house including a Draytek 2860 (standalone) router and a Netgear JGs516pe-100eus/

The switch works fine however it does not show up on the draytek console as a connected device. Am I correct in saying this is wrong?
My understanding is as it has an IP address and is a managed switch, it should show.
The issue initially was that the switch was getting an IP address via DHCP that I did not want it to get. I have now set it to static but unless the router can see it, there is almost no point assigning the mac for the switch an ip via router and is then at risk of getting a collision ?

Thanks
AJ

Sorry can someone move this into the Routers sub-group - I think it's more a router issue than a switch?

I have two TP-Link 8 port unmanaged switches installed in my network and neither of them show up in lists of connected equipment on my LAN using the primary router's list of connected devices nor do the show up when I scan my network using other utilities. I have not assigned them a static IP (no option to do so ) nor do they pull an IP from my DHCP pool.

On the other hand routers that I have dummed down to work as nothing more than switches do show up.

Thanks all
In terms of order of boot- it's all fine on that point

Nullity: Not really... I ideally wanted to ensure that the router was reserving the ip for the switch MAC but as it could not see it, I was unsure if it would ignore it but thinking about it, as long as there is a manual entry that the IP is bound to a device, it should reserve it.

CaptainSTX - thanks for your reply - slowly starting to think this is the norm!

On another note, I did purchase another 8-port managed switch which also did not show up so it seems this is as expected.

Thanks again for the responses, I think we can safely resolve this thread!

When using a mix of DHCP and static, it's probably more common to limit the DHCP pool (to *.1 through *.200 for example) and use the IPs outside of the pool for static IP assignment.

You probably should not use static & DHCP (reserved or otherwise) on the same IP. Seems like a potential problem.

Technically, you cannot reserve an IP, since any host can claim an IP through a misconfiguration or ARP poisoning.

When using a mix of DHCP and static, it's probably more common to limit the DHCP pool (to *.1 through *.200 for example) and use the IPs outside of the pool for static IP assignment.

You probably should not use static & DHCP (reserved or otherwise) on the same IP. Seems like a potential problem.

I keep my DHCP pools at .100 and above - and don't use DHCP reservations, as some of my devices don't do DHCP very well, so they're static, and as such, they live below .99, along with a few items that I manage their configurations manually...

It's been my experience that most "network maps" have some level of dependency on DHCP, so items outside of the DHCP scope may or may not show up...

I have a somewhat similar setup but less numbers
So the LAN1 start ip is 192.168.1.15 for DHCP
anything under are my static IP's I have set along with dhcp reservations.
For anything static, I have set it on the device itself AND the dhcp reservation but I suppose in theory, only static would be needed as long as it is .15 and under

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!