What's new

Switching AC-3200 to AC-68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nigel Jones

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Do I lose much running latest merlin going from 3200 to 68?

It seems to me the only significant change will be losing one 5 Ghz radio. Band steering is still in the merlin code, but obviously can only switch 2.4<->5Ghz. Do the other AI type functions etc all work the same?

Hi, yes, you lose one 5ghz radio, plus 200Mhz in CPU speed (unless you happen yo have by chance one of those 68u's w/1000Mhz CPUs) and slightly more modern (in the 3200) switch and radio controller chips. Not too much if you do not need the additional radio.

Thanks @FTC... as with most things I have an awful habit of wanting to know everything ;-)

I just read up about the different switches and the additional broadcom cpu offloading in the AC-3200 earlier today which is probably a good thing for consistency.... it looks as if some variants of the AC-68u may have the same wireless processor change.. but trying to chase the exact revision is potentially problematic so I should probably just stop and enjoy the fact the current router is working well, especially with the merlin firmware. There's no indication of > 330 Mbps internet here for the moment (I decided to stick with 220/21), and a few 100 Mbps is fine locally, so should be ok for the moment..