What's new

Syncing files in a multi-user network (version mgmt)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brucew268

New Around Here
As I look at the software provided by NAS's or in trying to find network mgmt software oriented and priced for a consumer, I'm having trouble finding how they solve this problem.

All the computers in our home office are laptops and we often user them for meetings away from the office (often without internet access).

So I want to keep the master copy of various personal and office files on the NAS, but sync the files up to two laptops. Any changes made to a file on either laptop should be sync'd back to one location on the NAS, with the software on the NAS keeping track of old versions of the file and who changed each.

Looking on the Synology website forums (the NAS maker I am currently considering), it does not seem that the software will handle this. I've seen mention of Goodsync, Alway Sync, Quick Shadow Backup, SynchBackupSE, Power Folder, but no real discussion of this issue or a review of how well any or all of these products handle this with version/sync control of a particular file sync'd to multiple laptop users.

Any ideas where to go for this info, or am I on my own here? Seems like it would be a common issue for networks.

Thanks

Last edited:
Built-in NAS backup usually doesn't handle versioning. It's generally rsync based doing full and incremental backup.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!