What's new

Synology DS1511+ wake on lan issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

narb77

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I have on my home network a Synology Ds1511+ which I use to stream my Media around the house through an 8 port Gigabyt switch.

For power saving reasons i want it to sleep when not in use, but wake on LAN. I have tried to set up in control panel ticking both wake on LAN 1 and LAN 2 boxes but still seems not to sleep.

My main loungeroom media computer runs constantly, and always has Media Center, with the Media Browser Plugin running.

Even if I am not actively accessing the NAS, Is having Media Browser open enough to stop the NAS from sleeping.

I have tried setting up a timeclock schedual but, but our daily routine changes so much that it always seems to be off when we need it.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Narb77

Hi guys,

My main loungeroom media computer runs constantly, and always has Media Center, with the Media Browser Plugin running.

Even if I am not actively accessing the NAS, Is having Media Browser open enough to stop the NAS from sleeping.

Are you running the MediaBrowser background app? What settings do you have for cache update? I presume you have the ProgramFiles for mediabrowser on the HTPC?

I have found that file IDs stay open after playing media, until you play something else, you might try as a test playing something that isn't on the NAS.

Windows 7 on the HTPC? Have you turned off caching of thumbnails (thumbs.db)?

Does your router have a display of the current state table?

Sorry for the late reply, had some broadband issues.

Yes running Windows 7 on the HTPC, with Media Browser version 2.3.2. This version seems to run Media Browser Service in the background. It Refreshes daily at 2:00am.

Have no manual Caching settings checked. Not completely sure how to set up manually. Have noticed thumbs.db files now attached to my media, I assume this is how media browser saves the Metadata.

I have the network Connected through a Netgear 8 Port gibabyte switch. Not sure if it has a display for the current state table. It has lights that show which port is connected but i think thats about it.

Sorry for the late reply, had some broadband issues.

Yes running Windows 7 on the HTPC, with Media Browser version 2.3.2. This version seems to run Media Browser Service in the background. It Refreshes daily at 2:00am.

Have no manual Caching settings checked. Not completely sure how to set up manually. Have noticed thumbs.db files now attached to my media, I assume this is how media browser saves the Metadata.

I have the network Connected through a Netgear 8 Port gibabyte switch. Not sure if it has a display for the current state table. It has lights that show which port is connected but i think thats about it.

Thumbs.db is a Windows cache file, by default it is on, you can turn off the creation of these thumbs files - I'm not sure that this will effect wake on LAN, but it is possible.

You might also want to make sure indexing is turn off on the windows mount points (thanks stevech)

You can get a dump of the state table from the DOS command line, do a netstat -ab ( there are also utilities like TCPView if you want a gui )

What you want to look for is a process that has an open connection to your NAS. The output will look like:

TCP 192.168.100.25:445 NAS:1070 ESTABLISHED [ svchost.exe ]

The first column is the protocol, second column is originating host and port number ( your htpc ip : port number ), third column is the end point ip & port, next the state of the connection, last column is the process that opened the connection.

You want to look on your HTPC for any established connections to your NAS, and investigate the process that has the connection open.

There are quite a few applications that could be responsible, WMP, 7MC, svchost, and various library managers and media players. ( you might want to change from the default wmp association to that of something like vlc. )

I'd also do some testing during off hours, turn off your htpc and see if the NAS sleeps, close media center and see if the NAS sleeps.

With your reported settings, I doubt that Media Browser is the culprit ( it caches, and use the Media Center API to interact with media files )

Media Browser discussion of WOL

Are you using Link Aggregation? LACP will keep your NAS alive.

Is there a connection table under the synology control panel?

Hope that helps, please post your results, I'm curious.

Last edited:
For testing purposes take a look at woncli, a command line utility that seems to offer all WOL functions from the command line.

Seems to offer a way to script WOL functions also.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, ive been a bit sick lately, so have been out of it for a while.
Thanks for all the info GregN.

Kinda lost me a bit with using the dos command line to get a dump of the state table. My brother inlaw who is an IT guy will be down soon, so I may waite for him before I do that.

I now have all my Meta data stored locally on my NAS. So im currently looking at turning of thumbs.
How would I go about turning of indexing on the windows mount points. And what would this effect.

Is link aggregation running both LAN ports as a single. If so I do have them bonded.
Could this be my problem. And why would it stop the NAS from sleeping.

I now have all my Meta data stored locally on my NAS. So im currently looking at turning of thumbs.

How would I go about turning of indexing on the windows mount points. And what would this effect.

Indexing is used to speed up searching from the windows explorer. To turn it off, right like on the mount in explorer and select 'Properties'. This will bring up the properties panel, at the bottom of the panel are two check boxes, uncheck the box that reads "Allow files to be indexed..."

Is link aggregation running both LAN ports as a single. If so I do have them bonded.
Could this be my problem. And why would it stop the NAS from sleeping.

This is most likely your problem. Wake on LAN does not work with the LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol), it is the way it is built, don't know why, but I suspect it has to do with the way the network connections have to interact with each other.

Last edited:
Wake on LAN does not work with the LACP.

I'm trying to get some help from HP and Synology to get WOL working with LACP. Both tell me it is working in their test environments. It's not working for me with my HP ProCurve 1810G24 and my DS 1512+