What's new

Synology DS1517+ DiskStation Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
synology_ds1517plus_product.jpg
Synology's DS1517+ is an attractive choice for a 10GbE capable NAS.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

I'm looking forward to see how this new one fares versus QNAP's new TS-453B/653B models. I ordered the latter given that it had a faster CPU, more connectivity (dual HDMI, SD Card, audio jacks, USB C direct access) , an extra drive slot, similar PCIe option for caching, 10 Gigabit, etc, for about the same price. I think that will be a good "top shelf" NAS showdown...

I'm looking forward to see how this new one fares versus QNAP's new TS-453B/653B models. I ordered the latter given that it had a faster CPU, more connectivity (dual HDMI, SD Card, audio jacks, USB C direct access) , an extra drive slot, similar PCIe option for caching, 10 Gigabit, etc, for about the same price. I think that will be a good "top shelf" NAS showdown...
Hi BrianBloom, I agree the TS-453B vs the DS1517+ will be a great showdown. In fact, i'm deciding which one of these two to buy at the moment. What are your thoughts? And how are you finding your TS-453B ?

hard call to make - if one is a current customer, then it comes down to DSM vs QTS...

hard call to make - if one is a current customer, then it comes down to DSM vs QTS...

Thank you sfx2000. I've owned nither. I've had Western Digitals, but am now looking at getting something more serious. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give.

I will be using the unit for home and small business. Besides basic storage and data access, I'd like to utilize the virtual machine function and also be able to host a Wordpress website from it. I don't intend on upgrading the unit for as long as possible, so i'm looking for something that's fairly future proofed and expandable. I like the idea if Synology hybrid raid, just because of its flexibility in expansion, but i am also researching other raid formats that might be suitable.

Besides that, just the usual stuff - it needs to back up seamlessly to my dropbox and/or offsite storage unit, and it needs to do multiple version back ups. But i think that all the units do these, is that right?

Based on what i've looked at, the 2 best ones seem to be: TS-453B or DS1517+. But are they overkill? I'm wondering if maybe the TS-453A is enough for my needs. Its got excellent reviews. Please feel free to suggest other units as well if you think they are better.

I'll be very grateful for anyone's feedback. Thank you.

I went with the TS-653B (the 6 bay version of the TS-453B) and so far have been reasonably happy with it. Still adding functionality to it, but no regrets yet.