What's new

Synology DS1812+ vs Qnap TS-869 Pro 8-Bay High-Performance NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

I'm going to replace my FreeNAS server with a smaller solution from either Synology or Qnap to reduce size, power consumption and make my life a whole loot easier when it comes down to customization and adding features.

I want a high performance solution, only limited by my 1Gbit local connection supporting at least seven drives in RAID5 or RAID6 while keeping the performance up without the need to waste drives in a RAID1+0 solution.

I've been looking at both the Synology DS1812+ and the Qnap TS-869 Pro which seems to feature basically the exact same hardware but they've got two very different user interfaces and firmwares.

I only have experience with Qnap from a few years ago and their build quality feels very solid, whereas Snology feels cheaper and more plastic. I don't really care that much as long as it won't break apart and the cooling solution is good and silent and the footprint isn't too big.

For me it seems to all boil down to software and firmware, whom is offering the best and easiest to use package with the most stable and best performing firmware. I hate advanced configs when I need to add things like torrent support and things like that and that's one of the main reason why I move away from FreeNAS to begin with because adding new features is a real pain.

Which one would you consider to be the best? I'm basically going to run it as a 24/7 high performing fil-server with SAMBA, AFP and get torrent with RSS on it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!