What's new

Synology DS209j vs Readynas Duo 2000? Whats the rationale for the former?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

branon

Occasional Visitor
Two questions,
a) For a basic home NAS (connecting three computers, a couple of Tivo units, etc), which one is better?
I have noticed that the price for the Readynas has come down drastically (e.g. look at Tigerdirect plus 10% cashback on bing).
On the other hand Synology units seem to consistently receive sterling user reviews. Not so for the readynas duos.

b) Relatedly, I know that Synology DS209j is somewhat underpowered compared to the ds209. So what is the rationale for selling the 209j? I see very little info about that unit.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
What do you need the NAS to do? If just backup / file serving, both are overkill (and overpriced).

The DS209j is strictly a price product.

synology ds209j or readynas 2000

Thanks Tim for following up so quickly.

Mainly I want it to serve the following purposes

a) To be a consolidated media storage and server for all the computers at home. RIght now there is too much overlapping music and photo across the computers.

b) Transfer my Tivo recordings

c) Backup work related files on the laptops at home (we have 2 laptops and 1 desktop and the former are used more than the latter since they serve both work and leisure).

d) Access photo files remotely.

Thanks again.

oh, one other thing, I think i would prefer a BYOD device. Somehow it seems a little more futureproof? e.g. if I need to upgrade the size of the disk later without adding more contraptions on my limited deskspace?

All NASes are going to satisfy your requirements, which are basically for file storage/serving/backup.

The unique requirement is for remote photo access. The only product that I have seen with impressive media servers and easy, secure remote access built in is the Linksys /Cisco Media Hub.

Many Thanks. I too find the linksys hub very tempting mainly for its sleek interface. Amazon has brought down the diskless unit's price down to $165 now too. I have read complaints from average users (ie amazon.com) about its slowness though. Is that a worry?
My other concern is regarding file backups? Does it only backup known file types or all file types? For my work a lot of my files involves using statistical and mathematical software and tex software (with extensions like .dta, .m, .tex, etc)

If you look at the Media Hub in the Charts, you'll see why people complain about its speed. It's basically a previous-generation design with only 128 MB of RAM, based on the Marvell "Orion" SoC.

Slower speed just means it will take longer to do large file copies and backups. Since you're dealing with large media files, you probably want as much speed as you can get for the money.

You might also look at Windows Home Server-based products, like the HP LX195.

Tim,
If I were to ignore the remote access of photo files (I am quite happy with, and, diligent too, in uploading to picasa for most of my sharing), would the lx195 still be a good choice? I have noticed recently that the new buffalo linkstation pro 1TB model you reviewed is now available for $215-225 at major online retailers while the lx195 is not available anywhere below $300. What would justify such a higher price for the lx195? The extra speed? Or Is WHS much more user friendly? User friendliness is an important criteria. I would give it a lot of weight.

If you look at the Media Hub in the Charts, you'll see why people complain about its speed. It's basically a previous-generation design with only 128 MB of RAM, based on the Marvell "Orion" SoC.

Slower speed just means it will take longer to do large file copies and backups. Since you're dealing with large media files, you probably want as much speed as you can get for the money.

You might also look at Windows Home Server-based products, like the HP LX195.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!