What's new

Synology Mesh questions (RT6600ax)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone! I'm having some trouble I think will be resolved going to a Mesh network but may be addressed using Range Extenders and I'm looking for advice, help, and suggestions.

We have a 4-story building of about 4.000 SF that meanders down a fairly steep mountain slope at around 7,800' elevation. General internet is limited to cable at roughly 150Mbps (which is what we have), DSL, and satellite. An ASUS AC87R was used here successfully for several years and gave serviceable coverage*. There is no Ethernet strung through this building and for a variety of reasons pulling cable here is DOA. There are never more than a dozen users on site at any time, say max added 30-seats between computers, tablets, and phones, etc., and about 35 fixed devices ranging from internal operations to IoT.

In January of this year (2023) I installed the a Synology RT6600ax for a variety of reasons, realizing the coverage might not be quite as expected and planning to convert to a mesh system from the get-go. Now I find myself in a bit of a quandary. The 6600ax is running SRM 1.3.1-9346 Update 5. I've toyed with the idea of using an extender or two as relays, or even trying to repurpose an old router rather than suffer the expense of the Synology mesh devices, the main reason being that as of now, as far as I can tell, the Synology version of mesh might be more properly spelled m-e-s-s. Then again, that could very well be due to the small sampling of posts I've seen and those being somewhat uninformed as to how to make things work properly and have appropriate expectations.

I looked at power line but ruled it out due to the existing wiring quality and circuitry. Recycling old routers is out as this system runs several networks and any relay or mesh will need to accommodate all of that and be fully wireless excepting a power supply. This leaves me where I started, with either mesh or range extenders.

Using a couple of Range Extenders would obviously be less expensive, they should accommodate the primary network and VLANs. However, there would obviously be a performance hit although I somewhat doubt it would be horribly significant(?). That and the structure appears to dictate two additional devices. The Synology "mesh" stuff seems more cobbled together than I had at first imagined, but they would accommodate the multi-LAN, fully wireless including backhaul and keep throughput up.

I'm hoping some of you experienced with these variables will chime in.

Thanks in advance,
Sky

*The Asus AC87R served us well and never broke, an apparently rare experience we enjoyed with two of them. They were retired due to hitting their end of service life from Asus who stopped providing FW updates, etc., and due to our changing needs.

Any dual-band extender, mesh, satellite, node, etc. whatever they call it will cut the throughput down to 1/2 due to retransmissions. This is something you can't avoid. If the speed is still sufficient - get two working well for you and call it a day. With no wired options there is nothing much you can do about it.

Reactions: Sky
Any dual-band extender, mesh, satellite, node, etc. whatever they call it will cut the throughput down to 1/2 due to retransmissions. This is something you can't avoid. If the speed is still sufficient - get two working well for you and call it a day. With no wired options there is nothing much you can do about it.
Yeah, but, they have a wan of 150m and even half of 866/1200 is still 3-4x that. Now if they had a higher plan or need for bandwidth I'd agree and avoid the extension idea and push cabling the building for proper APs.

We wouldn't touch this option personally but, in this case it could work.

The other is option would be run long lengths of Ethernet and put up APs at the end of the cable.

Yeah, but, they have a wan of 150m and even half of 866/1200 is still 3-4x that.

Agree, but it affects internal network speed as well. File transfers between clients will be slower too. If nothing can be done though - no choice.

I actually have recent Omada installation with one central AP and 2x wireless APs and it works really well. Dual-band AX3000-class APs, no issues.

When it's in someone else's place I do what I know works for sure and I don't need to come back. I can test things at home.

Hello everyone! I'm having some trouble I think will be resolved going to a Mesh network but may be addressed using Range Extenders and I'm looking for advice, help, and suggestions.

MR2200ac - works great with the RT6600ax - note that you'll need to flash them up to the current SRM before you mesh them up with the 6600ax, but they work quite well - I have this setup myself these days for the household network, and it's pretty much set and forget.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HPSQZKN/?tag=snbforums-20

Alternately - the AX equivalent is the WRX560, but it's a bit more coin there - about 2x the price of the 2200ac

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKRFKMM1/?tag=snbforums-20

Any dual-band extender, mesh, satellite, node, etc. whatever they call it will cut the throughput down to 1/2 due to retransmissions.

Not really - depends on the setup and the nodes...

Orbi's and Synology Mesh use seperate backhaul radios, so the impact is much less that a repeater or extender...

I know first hand, as I have the RT6600ax and MR2200ac, and bandwidth is the same no matter which node I'm on for LAN-LAN traffic, and latency is slightly higher on the mesh node (let's say it's about 3ms higher on the mesh node vs the home node).

Orbi's are fairly simillar...

Single Radio Mesh - Eero, Google Nest - not quite as nice, but works well enough...

I've toyed with the idea of using an extender or two as relays, or even trying to repurpose an old router rather than suffer the expense of the Synology mesh devices, the main reason being that as of now, as far as I can tell, the Synology version of mesh might be more properly spelled m-e-s-s. Then again, that could very well be due to the small sampling of posts I've seen and those being somewhat uninformed as to how to make things work properly and have appropriate expectations.

It's been fine for me - and I'm more critical than most.

Key thing with Mesh in general is getting the node locations right - put them too far apart, and performance suffers, same if they're too close together...

The latest SRM has been fairly solid - there have been issues in the past with the 6600ax early builds, but Synology has sorted that out in the more recent releases.

Not really - depends on the setup and the nodes...

Really, really - what is commonly known as "dual-band" is sharing 5GHz backhaul with the clients. What you are talking about is called (incorrectly most of the time) "tri-band". There are models with true tri-band (6E radio), but good luck through the walls if used for backhaul.

You really don't know what you are talking about lately.

MR2200ac is a "tri-band" device with dedicated backhaul.

1687049152176.png

Why I need to have the device? It has specifications.

Now read carefully what you quoted above:

Any dual-band extender, mesh, satellite, node, etc. whatever they call it will cut the throughput down to 1/2 due to retransmissions.

STFU? :rolleyes:

MR2200ac is a "tri-band" device with dedicated backhaul.

Only marketing types call them tribands...

I would consider 2.4, 5, and 6Ghz - that's triband... two radios in the same band really don't count other than for marketing purposes..

Locking this thread.
@Tech9 I’ve had multiple reports about you this evening. Dial it back. Locking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!