What's new

Synology NAS not showing in Windows 10 Network File Explorer Browser

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taino718

Occasional Visitor
Hi, attempted all recommendations found in different forums to access Synology NAS in Windows 10 file explorer but failed. I have a DS213J that was showing in browser via file explorer but now it disappeared. Seems no one has a solution to the problem.

I was ready to purchase a DS216 but with this problem affecting Synology network DS boxes not sure if I should wait until the problem is resolved to make the purchase. I also have a Buffalo NAS which has the same problem.

The problem points to Window 10 software.

Any recommendations on making purchase or solutions to NAS not showing in network file explorer would be appreciated.

Hi, attempted all recommendations found in different forums to access Synology NAS in Windows 10 file explorer but failed. I have a DS213J that was showing in browser via file explorer but now it disappeared. Seems no one has a solution to the problem.

I was ready to purchase a DS216 but with this problem affecting Synology network DS boxes not sure if I should wait until the problem is resolved to make the purchase. I also have a Buffalo NAS which has the same problem.

Any recommendations on making purchase or solutions to NAS not showing in network file explorer would be appreciated.

My home LAN has Win 10, Win7, WinXP and Linux, iPAD, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablets. All use the NAS. Windows PCs are in workgroup mode.

What you are seeing is often a "Master Browser" problem with Windows. This is where one computer on your LAN becomes the Master Browser, a Microsoft term. When that computer is off, another has to take over. That can get confused. I don't know the specifics ... my PCs and LAN just work without problems. A big change in the LAN can cause the Master Browser issue to arise, though it only got me once, many years ago. So all I can do is suggest asking in the Synology user forum and google for Master Browser, or someone on this forum might know.

If my root cause supposition is correct.

There are problems with some nas devices and windows 10.
The solution is simple
Run cmd as admin
Copy and paste the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and you are done.

There are problems with some nas devices and windows 10.
The solution is simple
Run cmd as admin
Copy and paste the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and you are done.

Hi, tried the suggestion many times but did not work. Thanks will keep looking for solution.

Hi, tried the suggestion many times but did not work. Thanks will keep looking for solution.

access your router and find out what ip address the synology has and use it in a browser and see if you get the gui

also add :5000 on the end of the ip address

My home LAN has Win 10, Win7, WinXP and Linux, iPAD, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablets. All use the NAS. Windows PCs are in workgroup mode.

What you are seeing is often a "Master Browser" problem with Windows. This is where one computer on your LAN becomes the Master Browser, a Microsoft term. When that computer is off, another has to take over. That can get confused. I don't know the specifics ... my PCs and LAN just work without problems. A big change in the LAN can cause the Master Browser issue to arise, though it only got me once, many years ago. So all I can do is suggest asking in the Synology user forum and google for Master Browser, or someone on this forum might know.

If my root cause supposition is correct.

Hi, checked my network computers and found the game computer was the master browser. It was used only at certain times and turned off. Eliminated it as master browser and waiting to see another computer takes over the role of master browser or the DS213J via settings becomes the master browser since it is on all the time.

I did not have this problem until a Window 10 update and the network drives disappeared from the Window 10 network list via file explorer. Did some research and tried changing SMB settings via Window 10, contacted Synology and their suggestions did not work either.

My concern is that I would like to upgrade my NAS but do not want to carry over the problems to the new NAS. I have another NAS made by Buffalo that does not appear in the windows 10 network list either.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will continue to explore other suggestions as per forum support.

access your router and find out what ip address the synology has and use it in a browser and see if you get the gui

also add :5000 on the end of the ip address

Hi, I can access the NAS via ip address and Synology assistant. I can also access media features of the NAS. I can not map NAS or folders created in NAS. I have mapped other networked drives but can't access both the DS213J or Buffalo NAS. Other computers in the network are accessible from Windows 10.

@Taino...
"Map"... For me, I don't map NAS shares as drive letters like X: or Y: . I just use the share by its name. Is that what you meant by "map"?

Hi, problem solved!
I tried numerous times to use command prompt and view my network with command "net view". The command prompt gave the message error 1326 "unknown user name and password". It pointed to my own network setup. Something I did cause it not to show drives on my network. I examine all the wiring going from the Verizon router, DS213J, Buffalo NAS, DAP1650, TEW653, and cables from the TrendNet Poe and Dlink switches and patch panel. I found that the CAT6 cable from the DS213J to the switch was in a loop to the other switch and patch panel. I remove all the CAT6 cables and reconnected them one at a time to the TrendNet switch from the patch panel. I had two CAT6 cables running into the same switch.

I ran Windows 10 and selected network via file explorer. I was able to see all the network computers, servers, printers, and access points. I am able to select the DS213J and view all files. However, the TrendNet TEW653Ap does not appear in the list of drives in the network. I am using "Poe" for the TEW653AP and it may be the cause of the problem that the access point does not appear in the network list. The TrendNet TG44G may be the problem. For now it is directly connected from the ejector to the Dlink switch. I am able to access it for now.

I would like to thank everyone in the forum for their support and help.

Mi culpa, mi culpa to Microsoft. Synology support sent me a text file and that was it. Some trouble shooting suggestions that were very basic but off target.

I will purchase a Synology DS soon to replace the old Buffalo LS-V3. Looking forward to rsync both together.

Again, thanks to all!:)

Hi, happy to report that the issue with the TrendG44G switch has been resolved. Using a CAT6 short cable connected TG44G to Dlink 8 port switch. Connected DS213J, Buffalo LV-3S NAS to TG44G everything showing in Window 10 network. Disconnected TEW653AP (long run using an injector to basement) from 1st floor location and connected it directly to TG44G switch Poe #4 located in basement and checked connection and log in. Everything was working. Disconnected TEW653AP from injector and connected directly to Poe port #4 in basement. Ports 1 to 4 are Poe and ports 5-8 are gigabit. TEW653AP connected to internet and I was able to lob in and check settings.

My next task is to connect two TrendNet Poe cameras. Two different locations using CAT6 cable. My TrendNet TG44G Poe switch has some limitations that I will explore. There are 4 Poe ports and according to the manufacture's support page the watts available to run 1-4 Poe devices is as follows: 2 ports used 30 watts available or 4 ports used 15.4 watts available for each device. I have not checked the Poe watts requirements for the two cameras but will prior to installation. Hopefully the two cameras will run within the watts limitations of the Poe switch.

I hope my description of what I am attempting to do with my network can be of some help to someone visiting this forum. I will post results of installation sometime after during the week

Again, thanks to all who support and help solve some of the networking problems we may have with our home networks.

Are those PoE claiming to meet IEEE standards for PoE?

There are lots of marketing liberties taken with the term "PoE".