What's new

Synology RT1900AC Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unlikely, but the regional authority (e.g., US FCC) can fine the radio "operator" for radiating out of band signals in excess of the regulation's emissions mask at band edges. Operating at full power in a "channel" (frequency range) outside of the FCC defined band would give the operator no defense - it's a knowing act if firmware's region settings are altered. All it takes is for anyone to file a formal complaint with the FCC. They will follow up on the complaint. But not likely ever go looking for illegally operated radios.

I thought that the current revised rules (which will be mandatory for all devices starting this summer, currently only mandatory for NEW devices being submitted for review) required the manufacturer to ensure that an end-user cannot easily modify the region for which the device is designed, and failure to comply would mean you wouldn't receive the FCC certification required for selling your product in the US.

Power consumption, heat load, and more importantly - cost... the "monts" are full blown systems on chip, with little extra needed, whereas the big core i3/i5/i7 still need a PCH, which adds quite a bit more to the overall cost of the design.

Power consumption is more than proportional to the increased performance.

Heat load? Just needs a bigger fan (will be quieter too).

Cost? Money is no object when a product fulfills a requirement fully. Particularly when that is a cost that is incurred once or twice a decade. ;)

Power consumption is more than proportional to the increased performance.

Heat load? Just needs a bigger fan (will be quieter too).

Cost? Money is no object when a product fulfills a requirement fully. Particularly when that is a cost that is incurred once or twice a decade.

True, true... for some folks - and there, there are options...

I remember when Router/AP's hit the $200 dollar range, and I thought that was a bit high, now we're seeing the same basic devices (with bigger numbers) recycled into the $400 range, which is just plain silly, if you ask me...

Would be nice to see Synology launch this device in the US, and open up the App store - while the RT1900ac is a bit limited by RAM/CPU/Flash perhaps, it's a darn good start if they follow thru...

For folks that have Synology NAS boxes, integrating the management between the NAS and Router/AP is a big win if they go down that path...

Listening on a podcast earlier today (2.14.16), and one of the guys said he had a review unit under evaluation - nothing about what he's found, but he's in the blog-o-sphere, so looks like Synology has sorted the FCC thing, and priming the pump prior to launch...

I'm happy to open a new discussion thread and make you the focus and topic of that thread - does that work for you?
I don't think you will need to create a new thread, because there are already couple of threads with too many posts talking about the same thing you want to talk about

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who actively dislikes these desktop-metaphor web GUIs? I find interacting with the QNAP software - which I don't even really need to do that often - a chore. Things which would be a single click in a standard menu-driven UI end up taking 2-3 longer to find, and then click. And the immense complexity of a fake GUI stack to my mind seems to be ripe for bugs that can allow a malicious actor to break in, and at least on my QNAP, feels like it eats up a huge chunk of the limited compute and memory resources.

I'm not in the market for a new router, but stuff like this would actively disqualify it, even if it was top of the table in performance terms. It feels less secure, less responsive and almost user-hostile. My $0.02.

I'm very intrigued about this new entry into the consumer router market after I saw the video hifiguy posted.

But, being a QNAP owner, I will cross my fingers that a version is released with QTS instead. ;)

I have a Synology NAS and I really like it, so I'm going to buy one to replace a really old G-only AP I have at the far end of the house. There's no way I'm buying one before they are down to list price, or less. I'm way too cheap to pay a premium to be a beta tester :)

I can't rationalize spending $250 on a WiFi router. But then, after initial setup and play-time, I don't login to my (ASUS) router more than once a month as a rule, unless I'm fiddling with DHCP reservations or some such, which is infrequent.

But then, a decent vacation time hotel room is that much, after taxes, fees, blah blah.

I don't really like these jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none routers. they have a buncha things but sparse features for said things. Best getting seperates and having more control.

I thought that the current revised rules (which will be mandatory for all devices starting this summer, currently only mandatory for NEW devices being submitted for review) required the manufacturer to ensure that an end-user cannot easily modify the region for which the device is designed, and failure to comply would mean you wouldn't receive the FCC certification required for selling your product in the US.
IIRC, Cisco Aironet for many years ships with region code set and you have to work hard to get Cisco to let you change it.

Yes. Sample will be here next week.

The HW isn't too terribly exciting, which is probably a good thing, as Broadcom's AC1900 class HW is very stable and mature - the SW should be interesting...

Would be curious to see how it works with a Synology NAS on the same network, and if there is any interplay between the Router and the NAS..

Would be curious to see how it works with a Synology NAS on the same network, and if there is any interplay between the Router and the NAS..

i have the synology ds 514+ here with the rt1900ac no interaction as such its they use the same gui layout etc , will be interesting to see tim's testing at distance and see if concurs with mine , that is if the usa model is the exact same as the one sent to us here in OZ

i have the synology ds 514+ here with the rt1900ac no interaction as such its they use the same gui layout etc , will be interesting to see tim's testing at distance and see if concurs with mine , that is if the usa model is the exact same as the one sent to us here in OZ

Hmmm... one of the strengths of the top-line NAS providers is the ability to manage multiple NAS from a single location - so for some, it would be something of interest to see how the RT1900ac fits into that...

Hmmm... one of the strengths of the top-line NAS providers is the ability to manage multiple NAS from a single location - so for some, it would be something of interest to see how the RT1900ac fits into that...
Yeah, an SMB person trying to manage numerous branch office small NASes and their switches, routers, VPNs, VLANs, oh my.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!