What's new

System clock different from syslog

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonnyJohnny

Very Senior Member
Hi, using 382.2,
My system clock in GUI and in terminal when I key date is the correct time of GMT +8.
However in the GUI, I have this message
* Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting.

Normal syslog timing is correct timing of gmt+8 however when I am using dnscrypt-proxy v2 syslog, i don’t know where it pull the clock from. The time generated in syslog is exactly 8 hr earlier (GMT).

So I was wondering where to set the Timezone for the system or locale?

I was searching the forum and see some solution was to wait for ntp update which my uptime is 4 days already and nothing happen. i tried ntp.pool.org, Asia.ntp.pool.org, sg.ntp.pool.org nothing happened.

Check the days for start/stop of daylight savings are correct for your location.
They default the USA options and must be manually changed for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in singapore and don’t have daylight saving. Also in my GUI, I don’t see the option to select the DST when I select my Timezone GMT+8

Try this....create a new file
/jffs/configs/profile.add

with the following line
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)

EDIT: You need to reboot after the change.

So I see, if I select +8 the options go away.

The syslog may always use UTC timings.

As for the locale warning. A quick google suggests many Asus routers sourced in Singapore come from US distributors and have the Wireless locale set to US.
You can change that via NVRAM commands, I can’t find an example of what to set them to other than US or EU though.
What do you get if you SSH in can do;
nvram get wl0_country_code

So I see, if I select +8 the options go away.

The syslog may always use UTC timings.

As for the locale warning. A quick google suggests many Asus routers sourced in Singapore come from US distributors and have the Wireless locale set to US.
You can change that via NVRAM commands, I can’t find an example of what to set them to other than US or EU though.
What do you get if you SSH in can do;
nvram get wl0_country_code

I get
US
I think singapore wireless has no restriction. so US should be fine? dont know how it affect timezone thou..

I just looked at the source code and I think it expects an ISO-ALPHA-2 country code, so SG for Singapore.

Try this....create a new file
/jffs/configs/profile.add

with the following line
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)

EDIT: You need to reboot after the change.

Great.. now it fixed the error message...

however the timestamp in syslog generated by the dnscrypt-proxy v2 is still 8hr (GMT) behind.. wonder if i need to wait for 24hr to update the router time?

The syslog for the rest of the log remain correct GMT+8

Great.. now it fixed the error message...

however the timestamp in syslog generated by the dnscrypt-proxy v2 is still 8hr (GMT) behind.. wonder if i need to wait for 24hr to update the router time?

The syslog for the rest of the log remain correct GMT+8

It updates via NTP on every boot. Don’t think waiting will have any impact

Don't think waiting will help....the router updates it's time every boot and every hour.

I think you are seeing the difficulty of trying to merge a generic prebuilt binary with a customized embedded linux.

I took some time to refresh to 384.2 alpha with all factory reset.

You are right that it is likely due to generic prebuilt binary. the result is the same.

At least for now the system time error message is gone.

thanks for the help..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!