What's new

Test: Comparison of Stock Firmwares vs. Custom FWs on popular routers!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MadGabZ

New Around Here
Hi,
I'd like to chip in on a possible review idea!

Why not do a review of, say, 5 popular routers, that can be flashed with alternative Firmwares, like DD-WRT and Tomato? Run comparison on the routers with different fimwares on them..

I'm sure, Lots of people in here are looking at alternate FW support before buying a router (We're all nerds in here, lol), but does changing to an alternate fw REALLY make for better performance, or just enhancing capabilities? What are the 'myths' about Alt. FWs vs. Stock FWs?

Such a review could even be a returning feature, to see if certain old routers still have value compared to latest offerings!

Stupid idea?

/MadGabZ

PS. Thanks for a marvelous job, Higgins! I love this site! :cool:

Last edited:
The few times I've looked at alternative firmware in the past have showed that it doesn't improve performance, can possibly make it worse and also introduce different problems.

The main value in alternative firmware is the additional features it may provide.
Lots More Features, Lots Less Performance: NETGEAR WNR3500L with DD-WRT Reviewed

Can DD-WRT or Tomato Fix Bad Routing?

I have plenty to do reviewing products with stock firmware. But if anyone wants to write such a review, I'm open to considering it for publication.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!