What's new

Test method revision7 vs revision 8 for AC1200 purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

capall

Occasional Visitor
I was looking to buy a new router and staying at approx $100. House is small, so is number of clients, have comcast 100Mbps, and hence looking at the AC1200 routers. I had decided on the ASUS AC56U which tops the rev7 tested routers, when I noticed that none of the rev 7 tested routers are on the list for the rev 8 tested routers. Could Tim or anyone else knowledgeable;e explain the impact of rev7 vs rev8 with respect to my purchase decision.

thanks
Derek

I can't see any impact that different revisions of the tests would have with your current ISP levels of service and current LAN (wired and wireless) needs.

Still the best AC1200 class router available today. With Asus' continual security and feature support for years after product introduction and RMerlin's further bug and annoyances fixes of Asus' work, all in a package that offers RT-AC68U levels of performance for any direct connected (wired) device and for any wireless device with 2 antennae or less.

Further boosted with john9527's and hggomes excellent forks of RMerlin's firmware too.

I just wish I could buy a couple of hundred of these routers and have them available for customers such as yourself for the next few years. :)

You can't compare results between the two methods because chamber size changed and Version 8 testing rotates the router during testing.

Version 7 has lower path loss, especially in 5 GHz. So products using that method will tend to look better than version 8 products.

Thanks guys,

Tim,
So how should one interrupt the results from each with regard to picking a router? Since there is no router from the rev7 list in the rev8 list, and assuming one would pick from the top 3, which method should we use to pick a router, or does it matter and and if not why?

Is there a particular methodology to each test method that might favor ones house layout and client usage?

thanks
derek

Newer products are going to be in the Rev8 method.

We use an AC1900 (3x3) client for testing. So our results are going to be higher than what you will see with the 1x1 and 2x2 devices like tablets, laptops and smartphones.

The Rankers and Charts reflect only performance. Feature sets don't figure into ranking.

Choose a top-ranked product from either test method that fits your feature and budget needs, then try and buy. That's the only way in the end to know what works for you.