What's new

Test speed between NAS and router (wired)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martin Fishkov

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I searched far and wide, could not find a simple solution for this. And I really thought it should be simple (famous last words :))
At home I have this setup: Asus RT68 router (running Merlin 380.61) <--> DLink DIR-645 (as an additional access point / switch) <--> QNAP TS-459 Pro.

All is working OK.
Recently I rewired my house, and now I have a power line ( EU: 220V, 50Hz) running in the same tube as my cat-7 lan cable connecting my router to the DLink access point. I would like to see what the speed is between the DLink and the Asus- but I find very little info on what and how. Most instructions assume a windows client, my win machines do not have fast lan ports anymore ...
Simply moving a large file between the NAS and router seems to include too many variables that can interfere..?..
Any suggestion how I can test this connection?

Thanks!

If you want to test Gigabit speeds, you need Gigabit Ethernet adapters on both ends of the connection.

Drag and drop of a single large (1 GB or larger) file will give you a good enough estimation of throughput as long as you first test the throughput with the two devices connected to the same switch to get a baseline.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. All lan ports are gigabit ports- but I find that disk write speed, cashing and possibly scanning kinda ruins a nice test- see screenshot. That's from NAS to Sd drive on Asus. the other way is way faster, so I guess disk read speed is the problem- the RAID 10 on the nas seems to have a large write buffer...
upload_2016-8-15_18-56-48.png

Asus RT68 router (running Merlin 380.61) <--> DLink DIR-645 (as an additional access point / switch) <--> QNAP TS-459 Pro.

Seems ok - I would recommend that the NAS be on the primary switch, and that'll bit a bit better..

Seems ok - I would recommend that the NAS be on the primary switch, and that'll bit a bit better..
yeah- but it's noisy and I don't want it in the living room. Hence the DIR-645. I find the DIR-645 refuses to route vpn traffic? Because it is in a diufferent subnet, maybe? Can't seem to fix that :(

If your router is running something like ddwrt where you can ssh into it you can test speeds of transfer vs write to disk attached via USB.

This link refers to NAS4Free but the concepts should help http://n4f.siftusystems.com/index.php/2013/06/20/nas4free-performance-troubleshooting/comments/
Ah! Yes, running MerlinWRT. running into processor related issues (iperf3 not available for Entware :( ) @ 529 Mbps. Still not too shabby, I'll take it. Thanks for the pointer.