What's new

test speed: Router to wired computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Symbiot

Regular Contributor
hi

I'm trying to locate a possible bottleneck in my homenetwork.
My server seems to only be reporting 100mbit speed and not Gbit which I expected..
is there any way to test from my router and out to my different networked devices? right now I am only interested in testing my server but being able to test all devices would of course be nice.

I'm using latest merlin firmware on my ac66..

Check what is shown under Tools -> Sysinfo.

Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or higher, and that the server's interface is set to auto-negotiate.

Not aware how to go router to device but assuming your server and a machine both support auto negotiate you can bypass the router and run I perform then include the router and run I perform again.

There should be no difference if slower then your router is the bottleneck

And today I found my bottleneck.
I have a Dlink 1008D infront of my server..
no matter what I did I could not get more than 100mbit throughput with that swich.. even though it's supposed to deliver Gbit..
I exchanged it for a 3Com gbit switch and now my devices report Gbit connection..

Yay for that.. and buuuuu to Dlink!

And today I found my bottleneck.
I have a Dlink 1008D infront of my server..
no matter what I did I could not get more than 100mbit throughput with that swich.. even though it's supposed to deliver Gbit..
I exchanged it for a 3Com gbit switch and now my devices report Gbit connection..

Yay for that.. and buuuuu to Dlink!

Ah, DLink. When you need something to just not work properly or at all. :)