What's new

Testing my local wifi giving me 1MB Transfer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoboX

Occasional Visitor
Sup guys, i am doing some testing and if i have 2 laptops and i transfer a 1GB file the speed is 1MB thats really slow, i am using a UAP using N and i don't know why i am getting such a low transfer.

Any clues or ideas would be great i want to get it at least to 10MB or something better than 1?

Thanks.

That does seem a bit slow, but wifi-to-wifi is only capable of transferring at 50% of the maximum real-world speed. If you have 150mbit wifi then it will send from laptop-1 to router at 75mbit while simultaneously sending from the router to laptop-2 at the remaining 75mbit. LAN-to-wifi, or vice-versa, is capable of transferring at 100%.

Make sure the laptops's wireless drivers at up to date.

I would expect 40-200mbit with 802.11n. I get 40-120mbit with my Asus RT-N66U, depending.

I am referring to actual real-world speeds, not connection rates.

Last edited:
Sup guys, i am doing some testing and if i have 2 laptops and i transfer a 1GB file the speed is 1MB thats really slow, i am using a UAP using N and i don't know why i am getting such a low transfer.

Any clues or ideas would be great i want to get it at least to 10MB or something better than 1?

Thanks.

1Megabyte per second (MB), rather than 1Mbit per second (Mb) ?
What's the term UAP? Some sort of WiFi access point (AP)?
What is the signal strength?
What is the reported connection speed in WiFi?
Is the 1GByte file coming from the Internet? If so, what speed do you get with a wired connection to your router?

Sorry for the questions but you gave us too little to start with?

Yes, too little info. Expanding on Steve's excellent questions:

1. What NIC's are in the two laptops?
2. What are the NIC driver settings?
3. What OSes are the laptops using?
4. Do you have any anti-virus/firewall software on either or both laptops that could be limiting LAN file transfer speeds?
5. What do you mean by "UAP?" Sorry to repeat Steve's question, but I assume by that you mean the laptops aren't connecting directly, but are connecting to a wireless access point's 2.4ghz 802.11n channel to do this transfer.
6. Assuming you're using a router/wireless AP to connect the two laptops, what brand and model? What type and version firmware?
7. What are the wireless router's settings used on the channel you're using to create the LAN with the two laptops?
8. What is the distance from the router to each of the laptops? Is everything located within same line of sight, or separated by walls, floors, and if so what are the walls and floors constructed from?

Give us some additional info.

That does seem a bit slow, but wifi-to-wifi is only capable of transferring at 50% of the maximum speed. If you have 150mbit wifi then it will send from laptop-1 to router at 75mbit while simultaneously sending from the router to laptop-2 at the remaining 75mbit. LAN-to-wifi, or vice-versa, is capable of transferring at 100%.

Make sure the laptops's wireless drivers at up to date.

I would expect 40-200mbit with 802.11n. I get 40-120mbit with my Asus RT-N66U, depending.

Nullity,

That's not quite how it works. Max throughput is around 60% of the indicated connection rate, but when going from a wireless client to a wireless client, that means that maximum is at only 30% of the indicated rate.

Assuming a few short feet from the router in the same room with no external RF interference and an indicated connection rate of 150 / 300 / 450 Mbps, the transfer or throughput rate will be roughly 5 / 10 / 15 MB/s or about 45 / 90 / 135 Mbps between two wireless clients in optimum conditions.

Nullity,

That's not quite how it works. Max throughput is around 60% of the indicated connection rate, but when going from a wireless client to a wireless client, that means that maximum is at only 30% of the indicated rate.

Assuming a few short feet from the router in the same room with no external RF interference and an indicated connection rate of 150 / 300 / 450 Mbps, the transfer or throughput rate will be roughly 5 / 10 / 15 MB/s or about 45 / 90 / 135 Mbps between two wireless clients in optimum conditions.

My post was only referring to real-world throughput, not indicated connection rates. I will edit my post to clarify.

Thanks for catching the potential miscommunication.

My post was only referring to real-world throughput, not indicated connection rates. I will edit my post to clarify.

Thanks for catching the potential miscommunication.

NP.

And to further clarify my post, the total possible throughput from one wireless client to another is halved again because current wireless capabilities are sadly half duplex 'hubs' which must wait their turn to talk on the network.

Including other nearby networks on the same or overlapping / interfering channels. When one device talks, they all must wait while the router listens.

When we get true MU-MIMO (routers and clients) and greater than 3 antennae routers, we will be able to finally begin to approach what switches did for hubs two decades ago... in the wireless realm.

The RT-AC87U with it's true four antennae / stream design is ready to be enabled with MU-MIMO. Just need the AC clients now to join and complete the party.

1. What NIC's are in the two laptops?
Will let you know once i get home

2. What are the NIC driver settings?

3. What OSes are the laptops using?
Win7 Ultimate in both laptops

4. Do you have any anti-virus/firewall software on either or both laptops that could be limiting LAN file transfer speeds?
Avira Free Antivir

5. What do you mean by "UAP?" Sorry to repeat Steve's question, but I assume by that you mean the laptops aren't connecting directly, but are connecting to a wireless access point's 2.4ghz 802.11n channel to do this transfer.
UAP = Ubiquity Access Point
Laptops are connected to the access point using 2.4ghz 802.11n

6. Assuming you're using a router/wireless AP to connect the two laptops, what brand and model? What type and version firmware?
Need to check the FW version of the UAP

7. What are the wireless router's settings used on the channel you're using to create the LAN with the two laptops? 2.4ghz 802.11n

8. What is the distance from the router to each of the laptops? Is everything located within same line of sight, or separated by walls, floors, and if so what are the walls and floors constructed from?
Laptops are on the same room.

Is the Ubiquity Access Point connected to the main router via cable or wireless?

Is this the only AP in use?

What channels are the main router and the AP's using for the clients?

1Megabyte per second (MB), rather than 1Mbit per second (Mb) ?

What's the term UAP? Some sort of WiFi access point (AP)?
UAP = Ubiquity Access Point

What is the signal strength?
Full

What is the reported connection speed in WiFi?

Is the 1GByte file coming from the Internet? If so, what speed do you get with a wired connection to your router?
The file is local, just moving stuff from one PC to the other.

Sorry for the questions but you gave us too little to start with?

Here you go.

Thanks

Is the Ubiquity Access Point connected to the main router via cable or wireless?

Is this the only AP in use?

What channels are the main router and the AP's using for the clients?

AP is connected to the router via cable, channel cant remember will let you know once i get home and YES is the only AP in use i disabled the routers wireless transmission

Thanks

As the only internally broadcasting WiFi, it doesn't matter what channel it is.

But have you enabled or modified any settings in the AP that would limit the bandwidth it provides? Have you tried resetting it to defaults and manually entering the minimal setup it requires to operate?

Have you tried different channels to see which gives the best throughput?

As the only internally broadcasting WiFi, it doesn't matter what channel it is.

But have you enabled or modified any settings in the AP that would limit the bandwidth it provides? Have you tried resetting it to defaults and manually entering the minimal setup it requires to operate?

Have you tried different channels to see which gives the best throughput?

I will POST he AP configuration for you guys to see, haven't tried different channels tho, once i get home i will do a couple of test, cause I'm really interested on making my homel wifi move file between computers faster.

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!