What's new

Testing VPN Killswitch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mytob

Occasional Visitor
I have just switched VPN provider to AirVPN and have got everything setup and working on the face of it and wanted to check that the block routed clients function still works. Previously all I have done is just turn the client off via the on / off button on the client and all traffic seemed to get blocked until I switched it back on again. Trying this method with the latest version of Merlin all the traffic gets sent in the clear when I switch the VPN client off with the on / off switch. When I turn it on again i get the"Error - routing conflict" message but all sems to work fine. Is this working as intended and a change that has been implimented in the last version or so? Is there any other way I could test it beyond pulling the WAN cable and waiting for the tunnel to drop and then reconnecting the cable and testing during the time it is connecting? Thanks in advance for you help!

if using policy based routing and the option to block routed clients if the tunnel is down the "kill switch" works. when setup like this if you turn off the VPN client manually VPN tunnel routed clients will be unable to access the internet.

if it's not working that way there's a problem. what are your policy rules?

Thanks for confirming my suspicisons. I have tried with a VPN profile from VPNBook and it works as I was expecting stopping all connections when I turn the client off. I have the route policy is setup as follows...

192.168.2.0/24 0.0.0.0 VPN

I am guessing that is something to do with an option in the .ovpn config file as the other works fine. I will have a look tonight and see what differences there are if any that may be causing the issue.

if the AirVPN config is putting the explicit exit notify line in the custom config, remove it. it causes problems even though Merlin has tried to work out those bugs.