The Four Drive DNS-323: D-Link DNS-343 Reviewed

Discussion in 'NAS Article Discussions' started by Dunnp, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Dunnp

Dunnp New Around Here

Has anyone calculated the power consumption of the DNS-343? I am interested in how much power is used when the drives spin down, etc.
    [article link]

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

The information is in the NAS Chart Feature page.
    40W active, 20W with drives spun down.

4. dlach

dlach New Around Here

migrate raid 1 to raid 5?

Bought this on the strength of the review. What I don't see how to do is start out with 2 disks in raid 0 then go to raid 5 when I can afford at least one more disk. Is this possible to do in place (like you can with the qnap) without data loss?

5. thiggins

The DNS343 does not support RAID migration.

6. dlach

dlach New Around Here

>>>The DNS343 does not support RAID migration.

Well that is damned unhandy. I guess I should have spent the extra $ on the Qnap.

What about adding an extra drive to an array? If I started with three and wanted to add a fourth? No right? And I don't suppose it supports a hot spare...

thanks.

7. thiggins

Nope. Can't do that either.
    You need to read the specs carefully and take advantage of downloadable User Manuals before you buy.

8. dlach

dlach New Around Here

More accurately since there isn't anything on these capabilities in the specs, manual, or your review I should have assumed the worst case instead of the best. However the performance graphs were what I was stupidly focused on. But given the price difference I guess I can just live with it and hope that Dlink revs the firmware to at least support migration.

9. thiggins

Don't hold your breath. D-Link hasn't done much enhancement to the DNS products since they have been out. I could be wrong, but I don't think RAID migration is in the cards for the 343.

10. dlach

dlach New Around Here

Arg! Thanks fore the heads up. Having to reformat the entire system for ANY change is pretty hared to swallow, don't know if I can live with THAT.

11. xbzz

xbzz New Around Here

Raid 1 & individual drives

I went thru the DNS343's user manual but it is not clear to me about the setup.

1- I plan to have 3 drives. 2 will be used for RAID 1. The other will be used as individual drive.

2- Later on, when my budget allow, I will add another 4th drive as an additional individual drive.

Can I do step 1 & 2 with DSN-343 ? How about other low cost 4-drives NAS that you can recommend ?

Thanks.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

RAID5 on DNS-343

According to the manual and the website the DNS-343 requires 4 drives for raid 5.