What's new

The Four Drive DNS-323: D-Link DNS-343 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The information is in the NAS Chart Feature page.
40W active, 20W with drives spun down.

migrate raid 1 to raid 5?

Bought this on the strength of the review. What I don't see how to do is start out with 2 disks in raid 0 then go to raid 5 when I can afford at least one more disk. Is this possible to do in place (like you can with the qnap) without data loss?

The DNS343 does not support RAID migration.

>>>The DNS343 does not support RAID migration.

Well that is damned unhandy. I guess I should have spent the extra $ on the Qnap.

What about adding an extra drive to an array? If I started with three and wanted to add a fourth? No right? And I don't suppose it supports a hot spare...

thanks.

What about adding an extra drive to an array? If I started with three and wanted to add a fourth? No right? And I don't suppose it supports a hot spare...
Nope. Can't do that either.
You need to read the specs carefully and take advantage of downloadable User Manuals before you buy.

More accurately since there isn't anything on these capabilities in the specs, manual, or your review I should have assumed the worst case instead of the best. However the performance graphs were what I was stupidly focused on. But given the price difference I guess I can just live with it and hope that Dlink revs the firmware to at least support migration.

But given the price difference I guess I can just live with it and hope that Dlink revs the firmware to at least support migration.
Don't hold your breath. D-Link hasn't done much enhancement to the DNS products since they have been out. I could be wrong, but I don't think RAID migration is in the cards for the 343.

Arg! Thanks fore the heads up. Having to reformat the entire system for ANY change is pretty hared to swallow, don't know if I can live with THAT.

Raid 1 & individual drives

I went thru the DNS343's user manual but it is not clear to me about the setup.

1- I plan to have 3 drives. 2 will be used for RAID 1. The other will be used as individual drive.

2- Later on, when my budget allow, I will add another 4th drive as an additional individual drive.

Can I do step 1 & 2 with DSN-343 ? How about other low cost 4-drives NAS that you can recommend ?

Thanks.

RAID5 on DNS-343

According to the manual and the website the DNS-343 requires 4 drives for raid 5.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!