What's new

The Hard disk - USB cannot be mounted successfully.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greeno

Regular Contributor
Hello. After today reboot the router, not mounted hard disk WD 3TB. The disk is connected without problems for 2 years and the first time I have this problem. The disk is formatted in NTFS. I tried to disconnect the drive from the router and connect to computer and check it using CHKDSK. Unfortunately, after re-connecting the drive to the router still does not want to mounted. I try to scan the drive by the WebGUI, but without effect. What can I do in this case? He did not want me to format the drive again, because I have a lot of data and services, and do not want to configure everything from scratch.

What router? What firmware (be specific)? What order are you trying things (again; be specific)?

How did you reboot the router? Via the gui, or pulling the power plug? Did you safely in-mount it first?

Is this a USB powered hdd or is it externally powered?

Which USB port are you using? Can/did you try another one?

Why did you reboot the router in the first place? Was it frozen or inaccessible?

Likely the filesystem is still marked as dirty from the linux perspective - there are a number of threads on the forums here on how to do this...

Windows might fix/clear things from a windows perspective, but you need to run the file system check from the linux side before linux will mount the volume...

The brute force guaranteed-to-fix-if-there's-no-hardware-problem, would be to (1) copy all the files onto a Windows machine, (2) reformat the drive (perhaps under NTFS again, on the Windows machine), and then (3) copy all the files back onto the freshly-formatted disk. Then plug the drive back into your un-named router and it should be good to go.

My own slight preference would be to plug the drive into the USB port of a Linux machine, copy all the files into the machine, reformat the drive as an EXT4 volume, and then recopy all the files back out to the freshly formatted drive. But if you have the slightest bit of discomfort or trouble with that it would make sense to keep the drive under NTFS format.

“L & LD”

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sun Aug 3 23:40:20 UTC 2014
A little old firmware but did not touch it because i have no problems with it.

WD 3TB USB3.0 drive with its own power supply
the hard drive is connected to the USB 3.0
The router i tried to restart several times, and the result was as follows:

ntfsck 3014.5.21
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Checking NTFS Superblock ...
The file system wasn't safely closed on Windows. Fixing.
Device name : /dev/sda1
NTFS volume version: 3.1
Cluster size : 4096 bytes
Current volume size: 3000557895680 bytes (3000558 MB)
Current device size: 3000557895680 bytes (3000558 MB)
Checking for bad sectors ...
Scanning $MFT ...
File name from INDEX_ALLOCATION "unzip-unzip", and MFT "zipinfo" are not same.
Checking directory structure ...
Corrupt directory found, inode=8049 (0x1f71)
Repairing corrupt directories started.

0.00 percent completed
100.00 percent completed

“sfx2000”

I did just as you wrote:
I disconnected the second time the hard disk.
I connected to the PC (windows) and checked the disk utility CHKDSK.
I connected to the router again the router and installed a hard drive.
Now the hard disk is mounted.
But i can not manage from the WebGUI "USB aplication." All the time he writes that it installs USB applications.
For some time now I have some problems with the router. I have a lot of services on the router and is heavily loaded (webserv, ftp, dlna, mysql, squid,) - but the router gives advice ;)

“RussellInCincinnati”

You're sure to copy the files "asusware.arm" format the disk again and re-copy the files on the disk will be successful?
Truth is that most care about the data. configuration services from scratch is hard work.
I am writing this because I feel that the problem returns.

I made a mistake at the beginning, I did not change the file system on EXT4.
But I have to tell you that, as I wrote at the beginning I have a lot of services that run on NTFS file system. The only problem with which to deal with that, not which files should be copied to jffs and create simllink.

Everything has returned to normal. We'll see for how long?

I wonder if sometimes the source of my problems is "minidlna."
Since this has just got started.
Often me through the router restarts.
I wonder if you do not turn it off in the WebGUI and install minidlna as a package.

Unfortunately, the repository is an old version.

Maybe someone has the latest compiled a packet of the arm?

Does it work better in the USB 2.0 port? Have you tried using a quality USB 3.0 cable (they do fail).

Are you really using an over 2 year old firmware? First thing I would do is (safely un-mount) and remove the USB drive, reboot the router and then flash the latest stable firmware (380.61_1).

minidlna is problematic on a low powered router. If you can do without it; do so.

Sometimes I had same problem with my ZM-VE400 (with hitachi 1tb) on the USB3.0. Somehow lately everything is working fine. DLNA always off. I think, this is problem with USB3.0 (I have unofficial very good cable with a less power loss).

Like this:
Sep 29 15:38:09 usb: USB /dev/sda2(ntfs) failed to mount At the first try!
Sep 29 15:38:10 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 211078008
Sep 29 15:38:10 kernel: __ntfs_error: 95 callbacks suppressed
Sep 29 15:38:10 kernel: tntfs error (device sda2, pid 9): ntfs_bio_end_io_read(): Bio read I/O error.
Sep 29 15:38:10 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 211079032

For some time now I have some problems with the router. I have a lot of services on the router and is heavily loaded (webserv, ftp, dlna, mysql, squid,) - but the router gives advice ;)
Seems like you are asking much of a tiny-cpu-and-ram router.

A basic diagnostic move would be to stop all these services, especially dlna, and see if you still have problems. Another basic move is to buy a low end NAS that is actually MEANT to run ftp, dlna, mySQL, etc, and is the right place to run a bunch of services.

"RusselinCincinnati"

I thought about this for a long time. However, i like something i would change in network architecture, is i buy a new even faster router (only for NAT and WIFI), and in addition i make a powerful mini computer on debian system for network services.

But so far, i'm not going to invest in new equipment, so i have to deal with what i have.