What's new

the last few firmwares seem to make gaming on ps4 very laggy. previous firmware fixed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cubano_14

Occasional Visitor
I started seeing issues playing on my ps4 a few months back, sometime in december. I can't say for sure which firmware it was but i think starting from 380.64 and forward i was getting major lag on any game on the ps4. I've see this issue once before back when i upgraded to a new firmware back in black ops 3 last year probably towards the end of the games life. I switched back to a previous firmware and everything was back to normal. i also recently went from the N66U to the AC68U and nothing had changed in regards to the connection on the ps4.

So i think the issue started for me back on 380.64 and every firmware since. I've done all the factory default changes, etc. I am currently back on 380.63_2 and it is working perfect again. I enjoy these firmwares and this doesn't change my mind in any way on how great these are. I just wanted to mention it on here. And if anyone is having any issues gaming you could give it a try

I started seeing issues playing on my ps4 a few months back, sometime in december. I can't say for sure which firmware it was but i think starting from 380.64 and forward i was getting major lag on any game on the ps4. I've see this issue once before back when i upgraded to a new firmware back in black ops 3 last year probably towards the end of the games life. I switched back to a previous firmware and everything was back to normal. i also recently went from the N66U to the AC68U and nothing had changed in regards to the connection on the ps4.

So i think the issue started for me back on 380.64 and every firmware since. I've done all the factory default changes, etc. I am currently back on 380.63_2 and it is working perfect again. I enjoy these firmwares and this doesn't change my mind in any way on how great these are. I just wanted to mention it on here. And if anyone is having any issues gaming you could give it a try

Are you having these problems on wired or wireless connections to your PS4?

I have 1 PS4 on wireless and a PS4 pro that is wired, connected to AC87u running the most recent stable merlin firmware with no problems. Wireless is within 5M of router so signal is good.

I have however setup the internet connection on both PS4's manually, assigning them static ip addresses and used google dns servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 in these settings.

I would also do a speed test on your internet connections with the firmware you are on now and the newest firmware to check the latency of your connection. Maybe it's an internet issue when coming onto a newer firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issue here. Usually latest firmware and it's very stable. Even on wifi.

Are you having these problems on wired or wireless connections to your PS4?

I have 1 PS4 on wireless and a PS4 pro that is wired, connected to AC87u running the most recent stable merlin firmware with no problems. Wireless is within 5M of router so signal is good.

I have however setup the internet connection on both PS4's manually, assigning them static ip addresses and used google dns servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 in these settings.

I would also do a speed test on your internet connections with the firmware you are on now and the newest firmware to check the latency of your connection. Maybe it's an internet issue when coming onto a newer firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is wired in. I also have the ps4 dmz'd in. Always have. I had tried both comcast dns 75.75.75.75 as my primary and 8.8.8.8 as my primary but that didn't do anything. Speedtest was similar on both firmwares on my pc and ps4 but the older firmware just seems to run better on the ps4. I haven't seen any crazy lag anymore since the downgrade. And i've always changed the same specific things on the router whenever i've updated the firmware and done a factory reset. I think i'll try it soon again but not at this time.

Check your ping to the router.

I had tried that as well and was getting less than 1ms each time. i pinged the router 100 times at one point and each one was less than 1ms. i did test everything out i could possible think of. my modem is also a brand new sb8200 and works like a charm. Running a speedest from dslreports on the current old firmware and newer firmware isn't much different either. Bufferbloat, speeds and ping levels all look pretty similar as well. Had an A across all 3 for both the current old firmware and the newest firmware. So something to me points to within the newer firmwares themselves. Downgrading was the last thing i could think of

on the ps4 i mainly play cod IW which is bad to begin with but i have gotten literally no connection icons since i reverted back to the older firmware. I also play BO3 which seems to be running better as well with the older firmware.

I have the ac88u which i could flash with that firmware to check but its an arm router so may have differences anyway.
Dunno if one of the more clued up would know.
I also have the ac66u but would i lose the ability to flash ddwrt if i used a modern asus/merlin firmware?

latest fw for ps4 causing people to have lag issues, it all over there forums, but last i checked it only effects wifi, but I on latest fw and i dont see much any lag diffrence

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

see how good your connection is, maybe just your internet overall.

Run a factory default and see if the issue persists. This should be the very first thing to try when anything seems wunky.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!