What's new

The optimal way to setup ASUS AC68U and UP with Charter Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdub42

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone I am reaching out to see if anyone has any experience with Charter Internet and using the AC68R or higher router. Why I say higher is that i am open to buying a newer one if needed. I constantly have issues with internet either the provider or my router access (can't get to router by its ip). My cable modem is in my basement and I ran all my wired connections on my first floor with a friend. My modem runs up a cat 6 cable to my office and I have another run down to a Cisco 1GB switch. In my office I am using the other 3 ports on the router for my main desktop, the family desktop, and family printer. The rest of my connections are a phillips hue bridge, wired xbox one, wired xbox 360, wireless xbox 360, and multiple cell phones, tablets and laptops. It seems like every month I have to do some sort of troubleshooting to maintain the connection. I have tried wiping the router and starting from scratch as well. If there is anything via setup that I can do to optimize my experience that anyone knows of it will be greatly appreciated.

Which firmware revision are you running on? What firmware revision was running the last time you saw the issue? Also, when you say "wiping the router and starting from scratch" do you mean you did a Factory reset, then manually configured all settings? How many clients in all do you have on your local network (select Network Map and refresh)?

Firmware is 378.56.2 I have done the nvram clear and factory reset. Ongoing issue had Charter out just to check everything on their end.

I went back with Asus base rom 3.0.0.4.378.9313 and it is still locking up. Also I have the HW version A1 would that have anything to do with it? In addition I have disabled the 5Ghz radio to see if this helps...

ASUS doesnt change hardware chips between versions except for physical features such as the DSL AC68U.
Locking up can be caused by various factors. Try logging daily on the state of the router so you can see what goes on before the lock up. It could be temperature(CPU, wifi, PSU), it could be a memory leak, it could be old connections continue to collect,

When you "can't get to router by its IP," does it respond to pings (from inside network)? How are you attempting to connect to the web management interface--wireless (both bands), wired, or both? Do you see any evidence that some devices (such as your hue bridge) are still communicating when this happens?

Thanks for updates guys. Its really hard to troublehsoot, example I am working remote for maintenance at work and it has dropped 4 times in 2hrs, this holds true for both wireless and wired. It comes back up now I have scaled back my parental blocks after reading someone else having a similar issue. In addition when I log into the router it has an ip from cable company.

As far as temperature: 2.4 : 50C 5: 54C and CPU: 79C

I mainly connect via hardwire connection:

Device hardwired: My main machine win10 dell precision, family pc old Gateway Windows 10, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Phillips Hue, 2012 Server in basement(Cisco switch runs cat 5e to my living room and kids play room from basement)

Wireless Devices: Nook HD, Lumia 2520, HP Zbook, 2 other generic HP laptops (wife and daughter), another Xbox 360, Nest Thermostats, 3-4 Windows Phones, and Iphone

I also am utilizing the usb 3.0 port with an external WD 1TB drive for music

Most devices like different xbox 360s are not on at the same time.

I am not using my 5GHz to troublehsoot issue as well.

I really love this router and hate that it has been doing this to me but I really don't want to spend almost 300 for a new one if it is something I can fix. I feel I shouldn't need to buy a new router in less than 2yrs... My last lasted forever and a day feels like it. Whenever I have a drop I look at network logs and nothing is ever there. Really hard to troubleshoot this for me.. And asus just suggested that I use the latest firmware.......

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!