What's new

Thecus N2310 SOHO / Home NAS Server Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
I just noticed the announcement of the N2310 two-drive-bay product.

A few minutes reading specs..
Good price point.
Good stylistic design
Software sounds good. I didn't see Airprint support (so iPAD, iPhone, MACs can print via the NAS to non-airprint printers on the LAN. I do that w/my Synology and it saved having to buy a new printer. Maybe that capability is there but not mentioned in spec. sheet.)

USB port on front panel is blank. Darn - you have to get to the back to plug in a drive or thumb drive. Or use a cabled hub.
Both rear ports are USB3-blue but one is actually USB2. No biggie.
No SD card slot - I use that on the Synology with an ever-present 32GB SD card for VVIP file backup. I don't use it for reading a card from a camera.

This looks good vs. the two-bay products from Synology & QNAP. But consider the above comments- and vs. the good price.
Quick scan - the N2310 isn't on the usual Internet tech sellers yet.

Last edited:
you're right. I was kinda fishing for people who'd reply I have a similar one and love/hate it, or I've been looking at that.

I have one

Hi Steve,

Like Tim, I was very impressed by the throughput of the N2310. It smokes the Marvell-based models, IMHO. Yet, as you point out, it is light on features. That's OK by me, personally I don't use a tenth of the features that are available on my QNAP.

you're right. I was kinda fishing for people who'd reply I have a similar one and love/hate it, or I've been looking at that.

Can anyone tell me if this NAS is any good for streaming media (mp4's, mkv's and music) to multiple devices?

Thanks

Yes.
Synology and QNAP are more popular for home users.
But each vendor has a web site with an on-line demo.

Thanks

I have seen that they have demo's just wasn't sure how well they would show off Streaming features. Do you know if it can handle Transcoding? I stream via my PS3 which doesn't support MKV. Not a big deal if it can't since i can just run it throuhg PS3mediaserver on my PC

NCIX in Canada has it on sale for about $130 so i am seriously considering if it compares well to other 2 bays

the low cost ones do transcode audio, but video is too much for all but the $$$ NASes, so people transocode on a hot PC/server.

Thanks

from my reading around i kind of thought that i would need to go up in price to get the video transcoding since it seems you need to find one with a
Atom processor for that. kind of narrowed my search down to either the Asustor 302T or the Thecus 5550 i was only really looking at a 2 bay but the 5550 is onsale for just over $400 so it seems like to good a deal to pass on

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!