What's new

Time to first byte increased with 380_57

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel Hansson

Occasional Visitor
First of all, thank you for a great firmware! Been using it the past 3 years now without any issues, until now.

Setup
I run a webserver behind a ASUS AC66u router, and just to explain the setup a little bit more it looks like this: WWW <-- Cloudflare DNS <--- ASUS AC66u (port 443) <--- [[ NGINX REVERSE PROXY (set with to IPs as a VM) <--- UBUNTU SERVER (also run as a VM). ]] = SERVER

Upgraded firmware
The issue started when I upgraded the firmware from 378_56_2 --> 380_57.

Before upgrade
Time to first byte: 0.6 ms

After the upgrade
Time to first byte: 45 Seconds, often no response at all and the site turns out to be offline.

How do I know it's the new firmware?
I know it must be something with the firmware, because if I change back to 378_56_2, I have speeds of 0.6 ms again, and no issues at all with offline sites or anything like that.

Logs
I'd be happy to provide logs if you want to have some.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wireless connected? Factory reset and manual re-config done? :rolleyes:

A couple of people reported that they were having intermittent problems with port forwarding with this release. Is your problem intermittent?

You could try putting your reverse proxy into the DMZ instead of port forwarding to it? It might make a difference.

A couple of people reported that they were having intermittent problems with port forwarding with this release. Is your problem intermittent?

You could try putting your reverse proxy into the DMZ instead of port forwarding to it? It might make a difference.

Yes my issue is intermittent, but mostly failing.

Problem with DMZ on the Reverse Proxy is that it has 2 IPs, one for port 80 and one for port 443. Any idea how I would solve that in a good way?

With such a long delay, the first thing that would come to mind here would be that it's a DNS-related issue.

With such a long delay, the first thing that would come to mind here would be that it's a DNS-related issue.

Then, why does it work perfectly when I downgrade?

Just to be more clear, I think I put this the wrong way. It should be "either it's working, or it's not" instead of "time to first byte". Just recalled that time to first byte is 45 seconds in the tests I did, because that was how long it took before Cloudflares error page showed up - which it does if the orgin server is "offline".

Then, why does it work perfectly when I downgrade?

Just to be more clear, I think I put this the wrong way. It should be "either it's working, or it's not" instead of "time to first byte". Just recalled that time to first byte is 45 seconds in the tests I did, because that was how long it took before Cloudflares error page showed up - which it does if the orgin server is "offline".

Then it's a completely different issue then than a mere delay.

Try disabling NAT acceleration.