What's new

Time Warner San Diego speeds to 117Mbps/11Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Time Warner San Diego speeds to 117Mbps/11Mbps - a bit more or less depending on choice of server for testing.

Long promised. Unannounced that I could see. But I accidentally discovered the speed-up today.
8 streams @QAM256 on the downstream.

enclosed screen grab

Attachments

• TWC speedTest 2015-12-05_223034.jpg
    TWC speedTest 2015-12-05_223034.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 549
Enjoy! :)

TWC supporting IPv6 yet?

CoxHSI is in trials for residential customers...

(I'm still on CoxHSI with 50/5 service on Docsis 3)

I'd have 50/5 rather than 110/10, if I didn't pay for the top tier service.
I really don't NEED more than 50/5. Other than speed tests, I don't think there are any/many hosts that will do web serving and downloads at 100Mbps sustained.
So someday I may downgrade.
My cable modem is an Arris DOCSIS 3.

IPv6? I dunno. I've not followed it. Unaware of a benefit for me.

I am thinking of upgrading from 12/0.crap to 25/1.crap or possibly 50/8.

I think the 8Mbit upload could be a very useful upgrade, but I strangely do not care about the increased download.

Most articles I have read say 100Mbit+ symmetrical can change your experience, mostly because of the upload, but otherwise there is not a big difference for most activities.

Using a 1Mbyte/sec upload with one of those nonsensical Chinese cloud providers offering free 10TB could be pretty damn convenient/frugal though.

The uplink performance is probably a better boost for some - cable's asymmetric connections are pretty crazy...

cables asymmetric connections still have poor uploads. Many cable companies are still stingy on uploads by providing the 1:10 upload to download ratio and i know some fibre optic companies do the same. I really dont get why they have to when it is not a technological limitation and you would also boost productivity

I wouldnt trust a chinese cloud that offers 10TB of free storage same as i dont trust their hardware VPN solutions. 100Mb/s of upload and download is a life changer, i used to have it back in my first year at university. A lot of websites and servers do have gigabit capability or even better so having such fast internet is useful in a lot of situation such as downloading OS or OS updates, file transfers, having your own private VPN server so you can access your own LAN resources or make tunnels and such.

I think by keeping upload speeds low they can force you to use online services instead of setting up your own. I prefer to set up my own file, backup and media services rather than rely on online. I also remember that windows server had the capability to distribute updates to windows installations on the network so you wouldnt need a large network of computers downloading updates at the same time and clogging WAN but technically you can replicate this using a transparent redirection on firewall and a server set up to respond to the requests.

The uploads on cable use the upstream channels which are in the low band... like 30MHz. So they don't go above 64QAM as a rule.
All goes back to the Internet experience paradigm: ratio of down/up is high unless you run a server - which the cable Co don't want residential customers to do. Because their low-band capacity is small... to support the Internet Experience ratio.

Blame it all on ADSL for setting the precedent.

I really don't know how big backups via the upstream are not seen as too burdensome. Some cableCo and DSL providers have data caps on down/up. Mine doesn't; yet.

DSL is capable of symmetric links, but when you gain upload bandwidth, you lose download bandwidth.

Beyond that, ISPs, or the people they buy from, rarely make a distinction about the direction of traffic, right?

Only the last-mile suffers from this asymmetry?

yes, Internet backbone like Level 3, are symmetric.
The last mile access technology (cable, DSL) is expensive!
Cellular, even more so: due to the FCC's obscene auction prices for spectrum that you and I pay for.

After I'm dead and gone, fiber to the home will be commonplace.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!