What's new

Time zone bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr Zippy

Occasional Visitor
I’m using 384.9 on the AC87U and noticed last weekend the parental controls cut the kids internet off an hour early. When I checked the clock was in DST for the London time zone, despite DST not starting to the end of March.

I am aware it starts 2 weeks earlier in the US, could this be the issue and is it a Merlin and ASUS bug?

You’ve not set up the DST setting properly.

Search for examples of how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using 384.9 on the AC87U and noticed last weekend the parental controls cut the kids internet off an hour early. When I checked the clock was in DST for the London time zone, despite DST not starting to the end of March.

I am aware it starts 2 weeks earlier in the US, could this be the issue and is it a Merlin and ASUS bug?

If you are in the UK use these settings :

DST time zone changes starts : 3rd : 4th sun (1 hour change )
DST time zone changes ends : 10th : 5th sun ( 1 hour change )

Time server : uk.pool.ntp.org

Time zone : GMT Dublin etc.

I believe this is incorrect. Both start and end should have week 5 specified as "5" means "the last" Sunday of the month. This year there's 5 Sunday's in March and 4 in October.

Reactions: JDB
I believe this is incorrect. Both start and end should have week 5 specified as "5" means "the last" Sunday of the month. This year there's 5 Sunday's in March and 4 in October.

These are the times settings I was given several years ago. This is what I have always used and is correct and working for the UK.

asus-time-UK.png

These are the times settings I was given several years ago. This is what I have always used and is correct and working for the UK.
Maybe it was correct at time you first used it but it looks wrong for this year (and going forward). Time (literally) will tell. See what happens at the beginning of next week. If your time changes then it's wrong.

Maybe it was correct at time you first used it but it looks wrong for this year (and going forward). Time (literally) will tell. See what happens at the beginning of next week. If your time changes then it's wrong.

OK , we will see, but that is what I have always used for 5+ years and never once seen an issue.

OK , we will see, but that is what I have always used for 5+ years and never once seen an issue.

Because there are only been 4 Sundays in March in recent years!! So yea it did work, but I promise you, now it wont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seriously have to manually set this up? I’ve never touched before but also never used parental controls so wouldn’t have noticed any issues.

Anyway just set to 5th Sunday as suggested as makes sense and it no longer says times zones doesn’t match locale.

Btw I can’t edit my post due to the awful pop ups in this forum.

I just checked system log and that says “*daylight savings time is enabled in this time zone. “ but does show the correct not DST time.

Time server : uk.pool.ntp.org

Time zone : GMT Dublin etc.
like so often you are wrong and insisting in your opinion!

Read here, I posted it some times now in different threads and even told Asus more than once to correct their text from "5th" to "last" weekday.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-new-firmware-3-0-0-4-380-4118.35599/#post-291014
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/syslog-timezone-issues.31573/page-2#post-445189
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cron-job-and-dst-is-wrong.55567/#post-472230
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/guest-network-on-nodes.47492/#post-414796

Only correct setting working 100% each year will be to set BOTH to 5th sunday for EU (till 2022 when maybe DST will be ended)!
And to have it very exact you need to set 3rd hour on change back from summertime to normal. Preset default value 2nd hour in both fields is wrong too for EU.
But if you set 4th you are only wrong for a week in about 50% of time changes, so you dont even realize it.
Exactly your 4th-setting will be correct only in 3 of 7 changes or ~43% on long time perspective but "autocorrected" a week later as time will match your setting again.
I TESTED IT and know it for sure, you only reply assumptions.

Last edited:
And to have it very exact you need to set 3rd hour on change back from summertime to normal.
Actually you are wrong about this. The time changes at 01:00 GMT irrespective of whether going forward or backward. So in effect this means that the router needs to be set so that in March it goes forward at 01:00 (GMT), and in October it goes back at 02:00 (BST).

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking about UK time (the subject of this thread). When talking about Central European Time the time still changes at 01:00 GMT but because CET is GMT+1 the local times are 02:00 (GMT+1) and 03:00 (GMT+2).

Last edited:
I think confusion arises because the clocks change at exactly the same moment (01:00 UTC) in Central Europe as in UK and Ireland.
As local time in Central Europe is always 1 hour ahead of UK and Ireland, the clocks change at different *local* times.

So in Ireland and the UK,
In Winter, this time zone uses UTC.
So DST starts on the last Sunday in March at 01:00 local time. The wall clocks spring forward 1 hour.
In Summer, this time zone uses UTC+1:00
So DST ends on the last Sunday in October at 02:00 local time. The wall clocks fall back one hour.

And in Central Europe
In Winter, this time zone uses UTC+1:00.
So DST starts on the last Sunday in March at 02:00 local time. The wall clocks spring forward 1 hour.
In Summer, this time zone uses UTC+2:00
So DST ends on the last Sunday in October at 03:00 local time. The wall clocks fall back one hour.

Testing shows that in Asus-WRT the "5th" Sunday works reliably, even when there are only 4 Sundays in the month of the change.

I think confusion arises because the clocks change at exactly the same moment (01:00 UTC) in Central Europe as in UK and Ireland.
As local time in Central Europe is always 1 hour ahead of UK and Ireland, the clocks change at different *local* times.

So in Ireland and the UK,
In Winter, this time zone uses UTC.
So DST starts on the last Sunday in March at 01:00 local time. The wall clocks spring forward 1 hour.
In Summer, this time zone uses UTC+1:00
So DST ends on the last Sunday in October at 02:00 local time. The wall clocks fall back one hour.

And in Central Europe
In Winter, this time zone uses UTC+1:00.
So DST starts on the last Sunday in March at 02:00 local time. The wall clocks spring forward 1 hour.
In Summer, this time zone uses UTC+2:00
So DST ends on the last Sunday in October at 03:00 local time. The wall clocks fall back one hour.

Testing shows that in Asus-WRT the "5th" Sunday works reliably, even when there are only 4 Sundays in the month of the change.
Correct and very well written!
I forgot that there still are countries within EU like Portugal and Eire using GMT and part of Ireland will even remain.. :D:p:confused::(:(:(

What I wanted to say is that you have to set 1 hour later in autumn than in spring, to let it happen at the same time (between 2 and 3 in CET) in standard-winter time which is the base-time.
Summertime adds 1 hour, therefore to be at the same time like in spring you have to step back this hour later 3 instead of 2 in CET.

Thats the same in eastern, central and west-EU time, difference is only what you have to set in spring (1 for UK, 2 for CET) and dependent to this an hour later in autumn.

But finally I have to say Asus has well done ignoring DTS in EU f0r 30 years!
It will end in 2021 and maybe till then they get it even implemented causing next problems when nobody will need it anymore and default values still have DST in EU ...

Last edited: