What's new

Tired of Windows disconnecting your wireless/wifi card when ethernet connected?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

I just found a solution to this (for me) very annoying problem and thought I would post the solution for those out there looking for it.

Windows 10 and 8 have an annoying tendency to decide what connection to use when you have 2, this may mean disconnecting you wireless when your connect a wired connection or vice versa.

There are plenty of people out there, like myself, that have 2 connections (wired and wireless) for a reason, and this behavior of windows was very frustrating.

The behavior is controlled by an (of course) obscure group policy key called "Minimize the number of simultaneous connections to the internet or a windows domain"- thanks Microsoft!

To change this behavior-
Run gpedit.msc

Group Policy>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>
Network>>Windows Connection Manager>>Minimize the number of simultaneous connections to the internet or a windows domain>>Set to disabled and apply

Voila!

P.S.- Microsoft- Make this option available under the network and sharing center, seriously! Setting the default to disabled wouldn't hurt either, most would prefer to control their connections on their own without Microsoft "minimizing" connections for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found a solution to this (for me) very annoying problem and thought I would post the solution for those out there looking for it.

Windows 10 and 8 have an annoying tendency to decide what connection to use when you have 2, this may mean disconnecting you wireless when your connect a wired connection or vice versa.

There are plenty of people out there, like myself, that have 2 connections (wired and wireless) for a reason, and this behavior of windows was very frustrating.

The behavior is controlled by an (of course) obscure group policy key called "Minimize the number of simultaneous connections to the internet or a windows domain"- thanks Microsoft!

To change this behavior-
Run gpedit.msc

Group Policy>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>
Network>>Windows Connection Manager>>Minimize the number of simultaneous connections to the internet or a windows domain>>Set to disabled and apply

Voila!

P.S.- Microsoft- Make this option available under the network and sharing center, seriously! Setting the default to disabled wouldn't hurt either, most would prefer to control their connections on their own without Microsoft "minimizing" connections for them.

That's funny. I always make sure to have only one connection. Wired or wireless. While one is connected the other is on stand by as a back up. Wireless is usually turned off but wired connection is lost for whatever the reason WiFi card fires up, take over the connection.

Why do I run two connections? Ethernet is required for wake on lan, but on these computers wifi is much faster.

Why do I run two connections? Ethernet is required for wake on lan, but on these computers wifi is much faster.

WiFi is faster than a LAN connection? Is it a 10/100Mbps port?

The ethernet cord comes from a bridged wrt54g (dd-wrt) that is why it is slower than wifi.

The bridged wrt54g gets its data over the air from my N66U. No switch will speed up that connection. :cool:

True true - might consider sourcing another N66U and using it as a bridge - that 11g radio in the WRT54G is slowing down all the other clients on the WLAN.

True true - might consider sourcing another N66U and using it as a bridge - that 11g radio in the WRT54G is slowing down all the other clients on the WLAN.

I have read about this potential issue and checked for it. It actually does not slow down the other clients as far as I can tell. I see no performance degradation nor slower tests with/without the wrt54g in either internet or local network speeds.

Client bridge mode only offers connection to the ethernet ports, not wireless from the wrt54g. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

One day I will retire the old girl (wrt54g) and upgrade to either powerline adapters or an actual hard line. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: