What's new

TM-AC1900 Flash Problem. No Recovery Mode and Rebooting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biniecki

New Around Here
EDIT: NOTICED IS WRONG SECTION. PLEASE DELETE

I just got an ASUS TM-AC1900 and trying to reflash it to be able to use Merlin. I have been following the steps listed in this tutorial

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=92917711

I have gotten to step 3 where I need to put the router into recovery mode. I followed the directions and thought waited til the power LED was slowly blinking. I thought it was in recovery mode but ever time i tried to use the recovery tool it told me it was not in recovery mode. I have tried to just boot the router up normally and every 15 seconds all 4 port lights, WAN light, and USB 2.0 light all flash on for a second and then go back off. Not sure where I should go from here

Last edited:
OUTLINE OF PROCESS
1) DOWNGRADE the firmware to T-Mobile Firmware version .1703 (to enable Telnet)
2) Extract CFE bootloader and copy/paste MAC addresses and WPS code into Retail Asus CFE. (1.0.2.0 retail is probably the best one to use)
4) Flash Asus CFE
5) Then flash your choice of firmware using Asus Restore Utility or MiniCFE webpage

VIDEO:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the Guide tells you to press or wait for 20 seconds, it means 20 seconds, not 19 not 17, not 10...it tells you to wait for 5 minutes, its a FULL 5 minutes, not 3 minutes, not 4 minutes 30 seconds, it means 5 MINUTES! If you have NO patience or time and cant follow instructions this guide is not for you.

PROCESS1: DOWNGRADING FIRMWARE TO V3.0.0.4_376.1703
0) Disconnect the router from the network/internet, only 1 wired Ethernet cable should be plugged into any LAN port, DO NOT do any firmware related flashing via WIRELESS
1) Restore FACTORY DEFAULTS of the Router, this should set the IP of the router to 192.168.29.1
2) Set your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.29.88
3) Set your router to Recovery/Restore Mode by:
Turn power off to the router by disconnecting the power cable
Wait 10 seconds
Press and Hold the Reset button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds then let go of the reset
4) Wait 180 seconds (for router to fully boot)
5)using the "Asus Firmware Restoration Tool" or "MiniCFE webpage" (MiniCFE webpage is using a web browser and going to the routers IP of 192.168.29.1)
6) Flash the Tmobile firmware version 3.0.0.4_376_1703 TRX file.
7) Wait 5 mins
8) Perform a NVRAM RESET by:
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the WPS button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold WPS button
Continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds then let go
9) wait 5 mins
10) The firmware should now be downgraded and you can verify by longing into the router and checking the firmware version through the web browser interface.

PROCESS 2: ENABLING "TELNET" AND FLASSHING "CFE":
1) Considering you are on Tmobile firmware version 1703, RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS
2) Login to the router using the web browser and navigate to the ADMINISTRATION > SYSTEM> ENABLE TELNET> YES (then apply and save settings)
3) Change the CFE using Engineers guide, i recommend using CFE 1.0.2.0 and MTD Write v2.
Engineer's New CFE Flashing Guide: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895.

Update 11/23/16: munchy_cool wrote an OS X CFE guide (thanks munchy_cool):

https://mega.nz/#!rUdSDbRK!dmbnhk...KhLU1UMAhA

PROCESS 3: FLASHING YOUR CUSTOM FIRMWARE
(instructions below assume you are on tmobile firmware version 1703 with new moddified CFE) in other words...you followed the instructions above already. (If you are on new Asus CFE but different firmware you router IP address may be different, most likley 192.168.1.1)

NOTE: If you are flashing later versions of Asus or Merlin 376.xxxx or ANY version of 378.xxxx or 380.xxxx (Asus or Merlin), you must flash to a firmware that will expand your rootfs partition from 32M to 64M first. Asus 376.3626 is recommended. Flash Asus 376.3626 and after installation, reset NVRAM. This will expand your rootfs partition and allow the new firmwares to install correctly!

Download for 376.3626: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...1473784618

1) Set Static ip of 192.168.29.88 for your PC if router is using tmobile firmware
(or Static IP of 192.168.1.88 if on retail asus firmware or custom firmware)
2) Perform NVRAM RESET
Wait 10 seconds
3) wait 5 mins for router to fully boot
4)Place router into Restore / Recovery mode
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the Reset button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds then let go
5) wait 180 seconds for router to enter recovery
6) using the "Asus Firmware Restoration Tool" or "MiniCFE webpage" MiniCFE webpage is using a web browser point or go to the routers IP of 192.168.29.1 (or 192.168.1.1 if you already are on custom firmware)
7) Flash your custom firmware and wait 5 mins
8) unplug the power from the router for 10 seconds
9) plug in the power and wait 180 seconds
10) Perform NVRAM RESET
Wait 10 seconds
11) Wait 5 mins
12) Set your computer IP from Static to DHCP
13) Login to the router and enjoy your new firmware, the routers ip is most likley at this point 192.168.1.1,