What's new

To Mesh or Not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dvgeek

New Around Here
Hi folks,

My existing router (Asus AC66U) got fried (5GHz Radio just stopped working), and I'm now exploring options. Currently using my old Netgrear N600 as a backup - and it crawls.

Have a 2 story house approximately 3000 sft

More than internet usage - my in-house LAN usage is greater - I stream a lot of HD video from my server farm to my 3 TV's connected via Fire and Shield boxes. Plus the usual iPads and iPhones.

I need advice on going in for a Netgear Orbi or a regular AC2600 or better 4x4 router. I've read all the reviews, went through the features - but have not come across any discussion on network latency - my personal gut feel is that MESH networks have a greater latency that regular networks (I'd prefer only wired - but family would scream).

Any suggestions? Am I correct that latency in MESH is noticeable? Not between device and internet - but between device to device and device to local server?

Thanks in advance.

Latency is likely worse, but latency is not really a concern with media, bandwidth is.

Assuming that latency increases (does it?), any service that uses short-life connections (web-surfing, DNS, email) would suffer though, among other things like gaming or voice communication.

Retransmissions (hops) add latency. Mesh systems that share radios for client and backhaul can introduce latency. This category includes eero, Luma and Amplifi. How much depends on how the radios are used and how many nodes are in the mesh.

Systems with dedicated backhaul radios will still introduce latency, but it should be lower because different channels are used for client and backhaul.

SEM, the conclusion I come to after reading Tim's post above yours is the opposite.

The Orbi (NG), is the only non-mesh solution that I know of that uses a separate radio for backhaul.

That should make it the setup with the least latency over any other mesh option available today.

SEM, the conclusion I come to after reading Tim's post above yours is the opposite.

The Orbi (NG), is the only non-mesh solution that I know of that uses a separate radio for backhaul.

That should make it the setup with the least latency over any other mesh option available today.
that sort of makes it a mesh. Its just many solutions arent real solutions. Just adding APs together without some sort of backhaul or protocol isnt called a mesh, its called WDS but marketing likes to lie.

No, it doesn't. ;)

Doesn't matter what marketing tries to do to the consumers minds. Here, lets stick with facts, okay?
well as long as the solution uses some sort of method to distribute wifi like a backhaul or some protocol rather than the old WDS system marketed as mesh.

well as long as the solution uses some sort of method to distribute wifi like a backhaul or some protocol rather than the old WDS system marketed as mesh.

Again, we're not discussing the merits (or not) of marketing with lies. We're discussing how certain hardware configurations may be better (or not).

Calling everything mesh doesn't help. Particularly when it isn't (i.e. Orbi). :rolleyes:

Again, we're not discussing the merits (or not) of marketing with lies. We're discussing how certain hardware configurations may be better (or not).

Calling everything mesh doesn't help. Particularly when it isn't (i.e. Orbi). :rolleyes:
well regardless of the terms, WDS is what increases latency and reduces throughput. Its available in many many wifi routers/APs. Solutions that have some sort of method of communicating other than passing traffic from one AP to another thats the one that the OP needs to get, as long as the communication happens via some other radio/channel/wire

How did WDS get into this discussion? Do you know for a fact that Orbi is using WDS?

I need advice on going in for a Netgear Orbi or a regular AC2600 or better 4x4 router.

i agree with the first 2 posters on this latency isnt really an issue with regards to streaming , if you mean buffering and or jitter that too shouldnt be an issue with the orbi

i happen to have 2 orbi sats and the orbi router , with the orbi router in the middle of the house and a sat at ether end , my nas is located at the orbi router and i have no issue at all with buffering and or jitter at all , i have also tested with the nas located on one sat and streaming to the other sat via the orbi router and it also works fine

as described in the orbi review the orbi system isnt mesh persay , its stands on its own in how it works but isnt technically mesh , it no more mesh than say an asus in media bridge mode and thats not referred to as mesh , it is however a shame netgear persist in keeping the statement about "mesh done the right way" , there is a suggestion that the orbi may go mesh in the future however but im not sure why

so OP as long as the building construction material and local environmental conditions are on your side the orbi system should be fine for your streaming needs

pete

Do you know for a fact that Orbi is using WDS?

i know for a fact it isnt :) the connect for the backhaul is just using wpa2 with an encrypted passphrase , its a simple client connection , when you generate a new backhaul passphrase , it just changes the passphrase and keeps the same user name

Last edited by a moderator:
So far looks like it's all positive for Orbi...
No one has recommended a router only solution. From what I've understood so far the Orbi would be a lot like my previous solution (A66U in one corner+EAN66 diagonally opposite corner of the house) -and if I go the Costco way - I get Orbi router + 2 Satellites.

Thanks a lot folks for the advice - Hope I can position them like Pete has done....Got to figure out the cabling to the router...

and if I go the Costco way - I get Orbi router + 2 Satellites.

to be honest with you i would always recommend getting on the router and one sat initially as the coverage is very good and it can be a case of too much wifi making roaming problematic , if you then find you may need a second sat buy it separately

So far looks like it's all positive for Orbi...
No one has recommended a router only solution. From what I've understood so far the Orbi would be a lot like my previous solution (A66U in one corner+EAN66 diagonally opposite corner of the house) -and if I go the Costco way - I get Orbi router + 2 Satellites.

Thanks a lot folks for the advice - Hope I can position them like Pete has done....Got to figure out the cabling to the router...

I'd be the first to suggest a (single) router only solution (sorry I haven't until now).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

Only and until the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 (i.e. the latest 4x4:4 Asus routers) has proven ineffective for your specific needs would I then consider a solution like the Orbi (and again I agree with pete y testing here, the Orbi (and only one satellite, at least initially).

The less radios/routers/channels you use, the better.

Besides the family and their clients, could you at least shore up the most demanding connections between fixed endpoints via wire? Alternatively, MoCa or powerline? If you have to go wireless, I would envision 5Ghz links for the heavy, backhaul-like connections, then 2.4Ghz and maybe a general 5Ghz for roaming endpoints.

For the 66U replacement, I'd do another standalone router as your "core", then wire to quality switches if needed, then layer-on your AP solution (router-independent). That will avoid having to rework your entire topology from router-on-down should some do-it-all product come up short in any given way during your attempt to plug your performance holes. This approach bucks against the "just press the easy button" products, but in the end if you have the chops, I think you'll have way better LAN and LAN-WAN performance to show for it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!