What's new

TP-Link Archer A2300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbgarnett

Occasional Visitor
Hello, This is my first post so please bear with me and I apologize if this is not in the right forum. Anyways was at Walmart and noticed they had the Tp-Link A2300 router on Clearance for $35 1 left so I snagged it and bought a 2-year protection plan for $4. Anyways did I make a good purchase or is there anything I should be aware of when setting it up. I know it's a Mu-Mimo router which I don't think any of my devices currently support that standard yet but it was only $35 and I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up. I am currently using an Asus RT-N56U with Padavan custom firmware and the last time there was a firmware update was 2016 so I thought it'd be high time to upgrade firstly from N to AC and secondly due to the VPN filter Malware which my router was on the list of affected devices but I was using custom firmware so don't know if that protected me against it or not. Anyways I currently have my Ooma Telephone Actiontec Moca Adapter Motorola SB6183 modem and a TP-link 8 port gigabit switch connected to my router that has all 8 ports used for devices such as 2 raspberry pi's, ps4, Nintendo Switch 2 desktops and a HD homerun TV tuner etc. I prefer to have everything hard wired if possible but I have devices upstairs that can't be such as phones/tablets and a couple of laptops Lenovo T420 and an HP Pavillion m3-u103dx. Sorry for Rambling on and thanks again for taking the time to provide any help possible.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/Archer-A2300.html

If it works for you, then it works for you!

Make sure to get the latest firmware it fixes some security bugs.

the stock firmware isn't going to have as many features as Padavan, of course.

If you're having problems though, then maybe we should talk.

If it works for you, then it works for you!

Make sure to get the latest firmware it fixes some security bugs.

the stock firmware isn't going to have as many features as Padavan, of course.

If you're having problems though, then maybe we should talk.

Thanks for the reply and while I haven't even had it setup up for 24 hours it seems to be working better than the old RT-N56U at least for hard wire and 5GHz. My best speed test result on the old router was like 260 down and 12 up hard wired which I never questioned as I have Xfinity and I'm supposed to be getting/paying for 250/12 but I have already gotten 275 Mbps + with this router hard wired. The one thing I have noticed though is that the 2.4 GHz seems poor like we have a 1600 Sq ft house and upstairs I get much slower speeds than previously had with the old router but this router makes up for it with what I feel is really great 5GHZ performance so basically I could use 5 GHz wifi upstairs previously but it was much slower than the 2.4 and so so now in the one bedroom upstairs I am now able to get 120+ Mbps down on 5GHz where before at best 5GHz was maybe 10-20 and that's if it could get signal so thats why everything upstairs was on 2.4 but now in this same room on 2.4 it got me like 5-10 Mbps so I switched it to 5GHz and was easily getting like I said 120 Mbps. Either way less than 24 hours in I am happy. Now though as to Custom Firmware is there any that will work on this router and if so is their one you'd recommend over another or even over Stock.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!