What's new

TP-Link AV2 600 PA6010 Kit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greenja1

New Around Here
Just wanted to post that I purchased this kit (2) and was a bit apprehensive, but it is working very well; utility showing 200+ Mbs on both adapters in use. Real world speed tests from speedtest.net show the same speed as my wifi router (Asus RT-66N) which is about the same as results received when directly plugged into modem. No connection drops, HD video streaming no problem. NOTE: I did get a small boost in speed when shifting a power strip to a different outlet (was plugged into the same outlet as powerline adapter). Tried shifting one of the powerline adapters into different outlets in one room and results certainly varied - about 50 mbs decrease, according to utility. These things are tiny and light; using second receptacle plug is no sweat. Connecting all adapters with Blue Jeans Cable ethernet Cat 6 (overkill, yes, I know). Tried to ensure all household appliances and devices are grounded or plugged into grounded powerstrip....

I have the same set up. A RT-N66U and these. Been using them for about 2 weeks now and I'm very happy with the performance. I get my full 60Mbps and more from my modem, router and these. I also added MOCA adapters to my dead spot bedroom and that room also gets the full 60Mbps plus more.

Last edited:
Less positive news. I did 3 replacement-install attempts yesterday, and all 3 failed vs the 200's. Another 3 today and then I'll return for more dedicated hours to look at alternative plug-locations to the Day 1 attempts.

Less positive news. I did 3 replacement-install attempts yesterday, and all 3 failed vs the 200's. Another 3 today and then I'll return for more dedicated hours to look at alternative plug-locations to the Day 1 attempts.
The TP-LINK's didn't work at all or had lower throughput than the AV200's? What make/model are the current adapters?

Tuesday's work has 2 superior-performing replacements out of 3 attempts.

By "fail", I meant "no connection/no 3 lights" in identical outlets from the variety of 200s (NetGear, DLink, ZyXel, LinkSys).

I spent more time on Today's Fail without determining improved solution. I swapped the two units around, then moved them into a same-room with success, which of course was worthless but we know the units are working. Moved them room to next room with success but that hop from Room1 to Room4, like the 200s do, wasn't successful. It's written off to "One of those things".

I'll return to Monday's 3 Fails and see if there's any solution.

The two working units easily doubled the file-transfer speeds, which cuts serious hours out of that client's transfer time.

One thing I don't care for about these TP-Link 6010s... they have a single plastic 'lens' strip, Gort style, that covers their 3 in-line LEDs. This allows a glare from one LED to bleed into the adjacent LED's 'zone' so it's not as easy to discern which LEDs are lit - or not.
Gort2.JPG

I can see how this is a good style for wiping out opposing armies or, in Powerline units, slicing off humans at the ankles, but I prefer '3 little dots'.

Last edited:
Wednesday was a longer re-visit to the Monday's 3 install-failures with this. Today, I ended up with two Fails but the more difficult, longer-range replacement worked this time, first time, "every" time.

While these units don't seem to have a Master-Slave config, I did swap Unit A's location with B's, and did tests on those, with no better results.

Earlier, I had located all three sets in a single room of each of their houses, and ensured they were all working in that regard. Then moved 1 room away, then to their ultimate destinations. The two that never worked continued to never connect.

The two units that had been in place, 200s (one ZyXel, one NetGear) went back to their full-connect status, though.

I am tempted to claim "These TPLink's are therefore picky" or less tolerant of ?? whatever issues. I suppose that's fair enough, but I didn't have electricians alongside to really investigate. (That's an expense issue - "What happens if they found problems? Tear the rooms apart and rewire for a $70 set that doubled thru-put? Three thousand dollars later - so?" And those clients are just surfing. No significant file-transfers.)

We'll bring back these unused 3 TP-Link kits and try in other locations.

One thing you might try just for yuks is to see if one of the TP-Links will connect to one of your AV200's in the trouble room. AV2-500 uses a higher frequency band than AV200. But it should interoperate with the AV200, but at its slower rate.

Wouldn't help increase the bandwidth, but could provide a clue as to what's going on.

One of the problems with HomePlug is that there are no good utilities / diagnostics. If the technology were more popular, maybe someone would produce the equivalent of inSSIDer for powerline.

I did not try a 200-600 mix-match, indeed, and while I considered it slightly, time issues encroached and I was always a bit wary that maybe the 200s wouldn't work suddenly - as if the 600s had dumped some garbage or thru some magnetic sun-spot, they'd ruined the rooms' wirings. But no... the once-working 200s were still working.

I should indeed try a mix-and-match to see if there's any different behavioral change. Maybe that's why God invented next week.

These customers might also be good test-beds for MoCA experiments, too, which is a long overdue project for me.

These customers might also be good test-beds for MoCA experiments, too, which is a long overdue project for me.
Qualifiers for a happy MoCA experience:
- 2 GHz rated splitters (older installs tend to be 900 MHz)
- No distribution amplifiers
- No satellite or digital cable sharing the coax.

MoCA adapters are harder to find since manfs have essentially abandoned the consumer market.

MoCA adapters are harder to find since manfs have essentially abandoned the consumer market.
And this too is such a queer occurrence. North American homes are littered with coax, begging for this. All I can think is that the plethoria of sub-2ghz splitters made this a nightmare product-line that didn't have a 50-50 chance of success, but more like a 90-10 chance of failure.

I haven't quite figured out our personal Powerline Install Success rate - somewhat over 50%, though. I still like these because they're a quick and easy install - they work or they don't, without consuming hours of settings tests.

But MoCA seems to be the far superior concept to use existing signal-transmission cabling.

Last edited:
And back to these TP 6's... all three of my Fails are up and running across shop-neighbor buildings. I haven't installed the client software to measure speeds, but they disabled their shop's wireless and hooked up switches to allow all of their floor-equipment's on-line requirements.

If you do look at MOCA make sure you also look at HPNA3.1 and DECA. I use both MOCA and DECA in my home with great success.

Example:
HPNA 3.1 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00684E0UI/?tag=snbforums-20
DECA - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVK1ITI/?tag=snbforums-20
MOCA - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008C1JC4O/?tag=snbforums-20
I almost never recommend MOCA anymore as HPNA3.1 can be used with Satellite or Cable TV and it cost $40 per device instead of $70 like MOCA. If you use Satellite or don't use your COAX, DECA wins hands down at $9 per device. The cool thing is if you want to, you can usually run two of the three over the same line with your Satellite or TV service, and if you don't use your COAX you can run all three devices over a single COAX at the same time.

AB, thanks for the links; the HPNA 3.1 is especially interesting in the world of Oomas and VOIPs. We have folks that still enjoy analog cable but eventually, we'll all be sold down the DRM river of digital cable. "What's wrong with blotchy TV?!!"

I just installed these units to upgrade my 4-year-old av200 network. I used the utility to check firmware and it doesn't match the one on tp's website but it really isn't clear which one is right. does anyone know which firmware is the latest/best?

here is the firmware my 6010s came with:
QCA7450-MAC-5-3-5317-00-20130221-FINAL-B

but this is the two-part firmware file on TP's website:
MAC-7450-v5.3.1-00-X-FINAL.nvm
QCA7450_v5.3.1.00_CEClassB_3s_PA6010_131216_003.pib

the PIB file is the most recent. But it comes with "FINAL" firmware and the unit came with "FINAL-B". pretty confusing.

that said, it's working great, blows away my old AV200s in the same outlets.

ok i emailed TP-Link and got even more confused. So i went ahead and did the update. Guess what? IT'S THE SAME FIRMWARE. So, no need.

Hi, Is the 6030 kit based on 6010, but if 3 gigabit ports? I mean is the 6030 as good as 6010 in terms of performance?

I was looking at the new products and the extra 3 gigabit ports just happen to catch my eye which is really tempting but it wasn't on the ranking list.

Was hoping to upgrade from my aztech 200Mbps.

Side note: I realized that Aztech home plug is not on the list.
Is Aztech not a recommended brand or it just wasn't being tested?

Hoping to get your advice from the experienced users.

Thanks.

Hi, Is the 6030 kit based on 6010, but if 3 gigabit ports? I mean is the 6030 as good as 6010 in terms of performance?

Have you gotten an answer to this question? I'm looking to buy the 6030, but want to make sure its the same chipset/performance as the acclaimed 6010.

Thanks guys :)

Have you gotten an answer to this question? I'm looking to buy the 6030, but want to make sure its the same chipset/performance as the acclaimed 6010.

Thanks guys :)

Sadly no, but I took a gamble and give it a try anyway.
It is without doubt better than my Aztech 200Mbps that I was previously using and the multi-port makes transferring files between my nas and computer so much smoother.

I don't really have any monitoring device for the numbers and my setup is supposed to result in lower bandwidth due to the length and limited plugs I have but without doubt, it performed a lot better than my old Aztech homeplug.

My setup is that the router is 2 rooms away from my room and my room only has a single plug, so I can only share it with my multiplug plug.

That is all I can comment. Sorry, if it doesn't help.

EDIT: I am still using Aztech 7002GRV(S) from my ISP. I am not really sure if it is the one restricting my bandwidth as well, as I only heard good things about the wireless, something like coverage is better than Asus N66U.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: