What's new

TP-Link AV500 and new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nomad

New Around Here
Hi: hope somebody can advise. I've just purchased a new router, and linked my main powerline adapter to it using the ethernet cord, just like with the previous router. But I'm not getting the speed I was getting from the previous router when using the powerline wired connection, even though this is a much better router.

Any ideas on why this might be, and how to solve it, would be gratefully received...

More details would help.

What was the previous router? What is your new router? What firmware do you have installed on the new router? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing the newest firmware? What options do you have enabled? What have you changed from default settings?

Did you try powering down your whole network for 30 minutes to an hour and then powering everything up in order (modem, router, switches, etc.)?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Finally, what were your previous speeds and how do they compare to what you're getting now? Yes, the current speeds are worse, but absolute numbers would be better here. ;)

More details would help.

What was the previous router? What is your new router? What firmware do you have installed on the new router? Did you do a reset to factory defaults after flashing the newest firmware? What options do you have enabled? What have you changed from default settings?

Did you try powering down your whole network for 30 minutes to an hour and then powering everything up in order (modem, router, switches, etc.)?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Finally, what were your previous speeds and how do they compare to what you're getting now? Yes, the current speeds are worse, but absolute numbers would be better here. ;)

Hi: thanks so much.

Previous router was Comcast's Gateway #1 (single-band), and the new one is its Gateway #3, which is dual band. It was installed by a Comcast technician who I assume (hope!) did it properly! The network was offline for about an hour while he worked.

As to settings, he changed the network name to one of my choosing, but that's pretty much it.

I had previously been getting speeds much lower than I was paying for (both wired and wirelessly): hence the upgrade. Now my wireless connection is up to 89 down (previously it was about 45 – I'm paying for 75), but when I use the ethernet cable I have going into the Powerline plug, it drops to 35 down. I guess I could just stick to wifi, but I'm actually really interested in what could be causing the shortfall.

It seems like your network and AC wiring cannot handle the increased WAN speeds? Those PL adaptors are not guaranteed to work at any 'minimum' level, after all.

Are you getting 89 down at the device that needs to use the PL adaptor? If so, dump the PL adaptor.

Getting almost 90Mbps when you're paying for 75 is a good situation to be in. :)

I've just purchased a new router, and linked my main powerline adapter to it using the ethernet cord, just like with the previous router. But I'm not getting the speed I was getting from the previous router when using the powerline wired connection, even though this is a much better router.

If you are the following...

WAN <---> Modem/Network endpoint <---> PLC <.......> PLC <-----> Router/Gateway ------ rest of LAN

That PLC link is likely a problem - I hear/observe this does tend to be a problem with some installs over in the UK - and there, the PLC link is the primary concern... and an ugly one. HPNA has a lot of good applications inside the LAN, but the WAN/LAN interface is not one of these...

If one doesn't have a handy way to relocate the Modem, then consider either better PLC's, or run a handy CAT5e cable down from the Modem/Network end-point to the Router/Gateway...

What is your speed when wired directly to the comcast gateway? What was the speed when wired to your old comcast gateway?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!