What's new

TP-Link home routers: any support for IPv6 firewall?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scootley

New Around Here
Do any TP-Link home wifi routers have support for an IPv6 firewall (meaning the ability to block unsolicited inbound IPv6 traffic, except for stuff that is required by IPv6 itself, e.g. ICMPv6, etc)?

I know the Archer C7 doesn't (via my own testing). How about the Archer A20?

I've asked TP-Link, but their support folks actually gave conflicting and somewhat ambiguous answers, and their documentation is not detailed enough.
Anybody know for certain (via their own testing)? And if they don't do IPv6 firewalls, why? Any insight on the philosophy? (which I hope is not akin to "nobody uses IPv6, so why bother firewalling it")

Also please feel free to comment on the value (or lack thereof) of firewalls in IPv6 in general if it adds to the discussion.

Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of. I have a few TP-Link routers not in use and they both don't have an IPv6 firewall setting

That said, I'd avoid TP-Link as they abandon their models too fast. You only get a few (or 3-4) firmware updates and that's it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!