What's new

TP-Link Omada

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

derselia

New Around Here
Anyone has experience with TP-Link Omada?
It seems to be a clone of the Ubiquit Unifi?

Been using a AiMesh environment for too long. Might want to move towards a commercial solution.

Yes, TL-SG108PE switch, 2 EAP245V3 APs, OC200 controller. PoE powered, running great. Much better than AiMesh.

Very happy with my Omada setup. 3x EAP225v3, raspberry pi running the controller software. Very stable and great coverage. I’m not using mesh, though, so I can’t comment on that part.

Is it a mesh setup?

I don't know what do you mean by "mesh setup". Most consumer products are mesh only in the name. Pure marketing. There is no mesh with 2 APs. There is no true mesh with AiMesh. Omada is centrally managed system of wired APs. Similar to UniFi.

Also how is the range of a single eap245 vs an asus router?

Business APs are not designed for range. Omada and UniFi systems work best with multiple APs. This is how they achieve better throughput, more even coverage and more wireless clients support. Home AIO routers are designed to work alone and do the best they can.

I don't know what do you mean by "mesh setup". Most consumer products are mesh only in the name. Pure marketing. There is no mesh with 2 APs. There is no true mesh with AiMesh. Omada is centrally managed system of wired APs. Similar to UniFi.

Unifi has a wireless uplink functionality(from what I read) if you can't wire your APs. Its their "mesh" implementation. I wonder if TPLink has that similar functionality..

Yes, that's a setting in their controller software. If an AP can be reached only via wireless hop, it can still participate in the network. I've never used it, but the setting is there.

From their controller manual:
1597930350537.png

Support is limited, though. There's a footnote on their data sheet:
2. Only EAP225-Outdoor and EAP 225 v3 with specific firmware are available for Mesh. EAP265 HD and EAP245 V3 will support mesh soon.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'm not looking at long range. I'm looking at density. Like 50 devices in the space of half a tennis court.
Most consumer routers like Asus and Netgear pushes for wide coverage and speed for single deivce.
You often get frequent disconnects for some devices when there are more than 30 clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!