What's new

TP-LINK Shipping AV2 MIMO Powerline Kit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lynesjc

New Around Here
There is no review of this up yet, but it now shows up in the Powerline Charts and is the new long-distance champ. Any idea of whether a review is about to be posted?

In a day or so

That will be interesting to read the results, I further expect an unbiased thoroughly evaluation. Not because of someones personal favoritism for a particular brand. Just tell the facts as it is...

Respectfully yours.

That will be interesting to read the results, I further expect an unbiased thoroughly evaluation. Not because of someones personal favoritism for a particular brand. Just tell the facts as it is...
If you've looked at the results and the ranker, you pretty much have most of the story.

Ahh, another 2 board solution, that explains the thickness.
I'm actually building a non-standard application, where I use the modulators/transformers to couple into a very old set of 4 core phone line to a building where digging a new trench would be impossible. It's pretty much VDSL2 with the LAN bridging side of things already built in. And the abandoned phone line, as terrible as it is, actually showed reasonably consistent impedance along it's length, better than any home wiring situation that these are designed for. Your reviews have been the best resource for scoping out the best unit for conversion, along with performance, so thank you! Can you tell me anything about the isolation transformers between the two boards on the TP-Link?

Can you tell me anything about the isolation transformers between the two boards on the TP-Link?
Sorry, no. I don't get that far into component analysis. I just focus on identifying the key active components.

"Though not tested, TP-LINK's TL-PA8010P KIT, a single Gigabit Ethernet port version of the TL-PA8030P KIT with passthrough power outlet..."

Is there any reason to believe the performance on the single port version will be any different? This model's long-distance performance in the charts has induced an acute case of upgradeitis that I am afraid can only be cured by ditching my legacy Linksys PLEK500 implementation.

I already have ethernet switches in situ at the remote locations so I don't really need the triple port model.

Is there any reason to believe the performance on the single port version will be any different?
I would expect similar performance. However, remember that, like wireless, actual performance depends on many factors that I can't take into account in testing.

The only way to know for sure is to buy and try. Let us know how you make out.

Picked up the single ethernet port version (TL-PA8010P KIT).

Results at my two long-run locations (per the utility):

Location 1 - Old 100Mbps New 177Mbps
Location 2 - Old 40Mbps New 102Mbps

The pass-through outlet is a bit of a joke, as if you plug anything into it at all, speed takes a big hit. So, you're basically giving up an entire outlet due to the size of this thing. Worth it to me for the speed increase.

Last edited:
thiggins and lynesjc

One question? Have you test them for their operating temperature range?

Do they really meet their specifications by the manufacturing?

What are their fail-safe mechanism in case of electrical fire?

Imagine having one install in a room without AC or fans in a tropical or arid country ?

I don't own one but my curiosity is all about safety.

Respectfully

Operating temperature range is not tested.

Because they connect to AC mains, all of these products must be certified for the applicable electrical safety regulations, i.e. UL, CSA, VDE. These regs include focus on fire safety.

"Though not tested, TP-LINK's TL-PA8010P KIT, a single Gigabit Ethernet port version of the TL-PA8030P KIT with passthrough power outlet..."

Is there any reason to believe the performance on the single port version will be any different? This model's long-distance performance in the charts has induced an acute case of upgradeitis that I am afraid can only be cured by ditching my legacy Linksys PLEK500 implementation.

I already have ethernet switches in situ at the remote locations so I don't really need the triple port model.

so this design will have the same outlet overlap issue as well I assume?

tplink_tlpa8030pkit_plugin_composite.jpg

Check the physical specs. Exactly the same. So yes.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!