What's new

TP-LINKWR700N Walmart model

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard dynes

New Around Here
Can anyone give me step by step ...Dummie style ... directions to get my TP-LINK WR700N working on my MacBook Pro running 10.9.2? I am not very swift on the networking terms so it will have to be very simple. I want to setup this thing in client mode to fill-in some of the dead spots in my house.

thanks

In general terms...
You'll want this in Access Point (AP) mode.
First, determine where you'll put it (in the weak coverage area)
Then, how the AP will connect to the router:
cat5 cable, AP to router via attic, under-floor, etc. or...
a pair of HomePlug/HPNA devices to use power wiring instead of cat5, or...
a pair of MoCA devices to use existing TV coax cable outlets

Once that's decided, you'll first connect the router/AP to your PC direct or via the router's LAN port. You'll follow the instruction manual:
setup Wireless in the AP: SSID (I recommend it differ from the router's SSID), encryption mode and passkey. AP mode. Give the AP an address in your LAN's IP range but not in conflict with the router's DHCP assignment range of IP addresses. You'll use this IP address for the AP just to admin it.

Then deploy.

Remember I said I'm a dummie ...

I appreciate your efforts to "clarify" but .....
Have you setup the TP 700n with a Mac ?
I'm looking for a 5th graders explanation.
Keep in mind that I admittedly identified myself as a "dummie".
If the setup for this old dummie is just beyond me just let me know.

Thanks .....

Thanks again but .....

Tim ..... I have had six contacts via email with their Tech Support with no direction I was able to follow. Where I got stuck is when the directions switched in the middle of PC steps to a Mac directive then back to PC which could not be followed on the Mac. My Chinese is no better than their American English. I did get a msg. ...the 6th... finally giving me a US based Tech Support number. I will try that Monday.

I may be a fool or a total idiot but it seems common sense expectation that: one) manufacturers who produce & sell items for the general public write manuals with the least common denominator in mind two) that said mgr. if advertising items for both PC and Mac also write directions/manuals with instructions for both three) that said mfg. have 24/7 phone service available if they advertise such.

If the mfg. does not do these when they claim to do so their honesty is in question.

Use YouTube vidoes to set up Tplink router.
Then use YouTube how to connect to WiFi router using Mac.

Google is also filled with countless guides.

Tim ..... I have had six contacts via email with their Tech Support with no direction I was able to follow. Where I got stuck is when the directions switched in the middle of PC steps to a Mac directive then back to PC which could not be followed on the Mac. My Chinese is no better than their American English. I did get a msg. ...the 6th... finally giving me a US based Tech Support number. I will try that Monday.

I may be a fool or a total idiot but it seems common sense expectation that: one) manufacturers who produce & sell items for the general public write manuals with the least common denominator in mind two) that said mgr. if advertising items for both PC and Mac also write directions/manuals with instructions for both three) that said mfg. have 24/7 phone service available if they advertise such.

If the mfg. does not do these when they claim to do so their honesty is in question.

They only advertise that their email technical support is 24/7, unless I missed something on their website or their manuals. Also it is pretty easy to find the US technical support number. Or find any number of youtube videos on how to setup a router (even a number of them specific to TP-Link routers if you look). We (or at least I) understand everyone has to start somewhere and it isn't necessarily the easiest thing in the universe to instantly pick up, but their manuals (granted I haven't looked at THAT particular routers manual, but I have several of their other routers) are straight forward enough and shouldn't prove to be an issue to use for a PC or Mac. On the whole 99% of what applies to one applies to the other if using the web management page for the router to set it up.

TP-Link 700N and a dummie needing Macintosh directions

SteveCh .... I do not want to get into an online pissing contest .........
It is evident you are light years ahead of me with this whole matter of networking! And you are doing just the thing that many "tech support" people do, unless they are trained otherwise. And, that is, explain to the novice from knowledge base you have accumulated over the years starting at the level of an expert.

I remember reading of one very successful computer tech company establishing a mandated practice of bringing five or so people randomly chosen from the street and sitting them down before the product to be tested to see if said person could navigate the product.

Consider that especially when a person like myself unabashedly admits he is a total idiot about networking. And after hearing that confession a very appropriate response would be ... "the set up of this particular device may above above your skill level."

Thanks for the help thus far .....:confused:

Richard: It doesn't appear that you will get the detailed walk-through you desire here.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!