What's new

TPL420E2K Powerline causes Time Warner Router to go down on occasion....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pcumming

New Around Here
TPL420E2K Powerline causes Time Warner Router to go down on occasion.

TPL420E2K I think causes Time Warner Router to go down... Advice?

Have the Trendnet Powerline 1200 AV2 adapter. Purchased July from Amazon
No encryption--used right out of box
Directly connected to wall outlet., No surge protector.

Connected to router via Ethernet (obviously)
Connected to laptop on other end directly-Windows 8.1

It appears that a few times a week that when I use the laptop connected to the powerline my Time Warner provided router goes down requiring a reboot. The laptop icon changes to limited connectivity and both wired and wireless devices including phones lose the signal. When I reboot the router from Tie Warner, all is back to normal.

I called Trendnet support overseas which was pretty useless. They told me to give it a day and see if t happens again which makes no sense since it happened about 10 times in the last month. Then they would escalate this to a Level 2 person. Said they never heard of such.
Cannot return to Amazon since 30 day return policy is up but I might be able to talk them into a return. I know this has a 3 year warranty on it.

I cannot pin down a pattern on this to troubleshoot myself. I did press the reset button on the back of both powerlines.

Thoughts?

Thought #1
Redeploy your TPL units with a custom network name. This is done with the TPL software, which when run on your laptop should see both units. If by chance you see more than two and you know you only own two you may have a problem with your neighbours.

Thought #2
Powerline units can create unintended loops in your network. The description of your network sounds simple but something as simple as having your laptop connected via a weak WiFi connection to your router and powerline ethernet can trip up cheap equipment.

Ways to test when your router goes down is to start pinging its IP address constantly and make changes to the variables. In a command prompt (cmd.exe) start the command ping 192.168.1.1 -w 200 -t (your router IP may differ) when only connected via WiFi or Ethernet only. If enabling WiFi while Ethernet (or vice versa) is still connected causes the ping responses to fail within seconds this helps to reinforce Thought #2.