What's new

Track Client Usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

donduck

Occasional Visitor
I have Merlin's firmware installed on my RT-N66U. I read some where that there is an ability to track websites that the client(s) have visited. Is there a guide out there that can allow me to do that?

Many thanks

PS - I'm not very technologically savvy with router terms

Not possible on the RT-N66U. Just not powerful enough.

Need an RT-AC56U, RT-68U, RT-68P, RT-87U or the RT-AC3200.

Not possible on the RT-N66U. Just not powerful enough.

Need an RT-AC56U, RT-68U, RT-68P, RT-87U or the RT-AC3200.

RT-N66U shoud have enough omph. It is just not directly supported on Asus and Merlin firmware. I still have a previous generation RT-N16 running with Shibby Tomato logging both web usage and web search.

Sorry, I guess I meant not powerful enough to run on the RT-N66U what is currently available on the other routers I listed.

I guess other ways to track usage are possible, of course. I just assumed that the question meant doing it the current Asus way. (Doesn't this require Trend Micro to run)?

There's a basic capability via scripting (people are developing scripts to make it more useful). Start reading at this post....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/monitoring-web-usage-with-asuswrt-merlin.15558/page-2#post-169886

EDIT: Should have mentioned also that for the N66U I believe you need to be running my fork code to have this enabled.
I'm quite new to coding the router... In fact, nothing about it!

What does fork code mean? Will I still be able to run Asus-merlin meanwhile?

l&ld
no harm :) you are still correct since Merlin confirmed previously on list of hardware supported by AIProtection and both RT-AC66U and RT-N66U are not supported. However, I think it is the QOS engine difference rather than Trends Micro that both routers do not have "built-in" web usage.

john9527
I tried your monitoring-web-usage code some weeks ago on Merlin firmware, not sure what you meant by the fork version?

donduck
fork code is a software development term (wiki) where at some point in time, John took repository code from Merlin and created a separate version for different needs (I think it was the wireless driver originally). Merlin code itself is a fork from Asus. So if you run John's fork code, it is still like you run Merlin with some differences.

john9527
I tried your monitoring-web-usage code some weeks ago on Merlin firmware, not sure what you meant by the fork version?
That's good news....I wasn't sure that Merlin had enabled the supporting library on the MIPS based routers (I had to add it). Thanks for verifying.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!