What's new

Traffic Analyzer - Statistic PROBLEM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pepeEL

Banned
Hello
I have version Merlin soft 378.55
I start working with Traffic ANalyzer - Statistic and i found problem. Today is 28 July and when i go to Traffic Analyzer - Statistic it show ok data for devices or apps. Then i change example date to 27 July and then go back to 28 July and it not show statistic for devices and apps. Show me as i show on second screen. Data on screen 1 is other than screen 2... Why ?
I only change date and then change again date to the same day...

Where is save this statistic ? In Ram ? Where ?

I set save traffic as i show in tools traffic screen. But it is for Traffic Analyzer - Statistic or Traffic Monitor tabs ? I set to save in my microSD card /mnt/RT-AC87U/ in my modem GSM connected to USB 3.0

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,003
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 725
Tools screen

Attachments

• tools traffic.jpg
    tools traffic.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 933
Tools screen
The monitoring is buggy. It works ok on the same day. The statics goes to shirt if you change the dates. Asus is aware of the problems. There a thread with a list of issues the Traffic Analyzer has.
It's been like this since they introduced it.

So ASUS knows about the problem Traffic Analyzer and doing nothing about it? Where is the thread about this problem?

I think that option is for ip montoring only. It's different from Traffic Analyzer and Bandwidth montoring history. The data is save on the JFFS partition. I don't think you can change the location.

But what is save in /jffs ? Traffic Analyzer or Bandwith monitoring history ?

And for what path is set in tools>other settings ? When i set this path what save them ?

I'm sure Asus knows about the problem by now, but what they're doing about it is anyone's guess.

I'm pretty sure they're not doing nothing though. ;)

ASUS can see how customers are treated very badly DEVICES top ...

But what is save in /jffs ? Traffic Analyzer or Bandwith monitoring history ?

And for what path is set in tools>other settings ? When i set this path what save them ?

There are three totally different bandwidth tracking features.

1) Traffic Monitoring. This monitors the amount of daily traffic. Storage location is configured in Tools -> Other Settings.
2) IPTraffic. This monitors the amount of traffic per IP. This is not compatible with CTF. Storage location is in Tools -> Other Settings.
3) Traffic Analyzer: This monitors the traffic per IP and per protocol. This uses the Trend Micro DPI engine. Traffic is saved in /jffs. That functionality is closed source.

K but in Tools->Other Settings is only one path to set save. It is for 1 and 2 point the same storage ?

1) Traffic Monitoring. This monitors the amount of daily traffic. Storage location is configured in Tools -> Other Settings.
2) IPTraffic. This monitors the amount of traffic per IP. This is not compatible with CTF. Storage location is in Tools -> Other Settings.

??

And what is the CTF ?

I show on screen what is what. It is correct ?

But when i set in Tools->Other Setting option Per IP , when i show Per Device Daily it show me data. But when i select for example GLOBAL Daily my data is empty.

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 876
  • Global Daily.jpg
    Global Daily.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
screen

Attachments

• Per Device Daily.jpg
    Per Device Daily.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 641
  • Tools- Other settings.jpg
    Tools- Other settings.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 697
K but in Tools->Other Settings is only one path to set save. It is for 1 and 2 point the same storage ?

It uses the same location but separate data files.
And what is the CTF ?

CTF = NAT acceleration.

But when i set in Tools->Other Setting option Per IP , when i show Per Device Daily it show me data. But when i select for example GLOBAL Daily my data is empty.

You need to create the IPTraffic database first. I suggest reading the documentation for more info on how to use IPTraffic.

But IP Trafic data i have. I have empty data for Trafic Monitoring-example Global daily. Show on screen.

Where i can found documentation for IP Traffic ?

This is not compatible with CTF - This mean that the data show per ip is not real ?

But IP Trafic data i have. I have empty data for Trafic Monitoring-example Global daily. Show on screen.

As I said, it's empty because you didn't create a data file for it.

The README included with the firmware.

This is not compatible with CTF - This mean that the data show per ip is not real ?
[/quote]

No, that means that when you enable IPTraffic, it disables NAT acceleration.

** Enhanced Traffic monitoring ** Under Tools -> Other Settings are options that will allow you to save your traffic history to disk, preserving it between router reboots (by default it is currently kept in RAM, so it will disappear when you reboot).
You can save it to a custom location (for example, "/jffs/" if you have jffs enabled), or /mnt/sda1/ if you have a USB disk plugged in. Save frequency is also configurable - it is recommended to keep that frequency lower (for example, once a day) if you are saving to jffs, to reduce wearing out your flash memory. Make sure not to forget the trailing slash ad the end of the path.
Note that the first time you use that option, you must tell the router to create the data file. Make sure you set "Create or reset data files" to "Yes".
Also, Asuswrt-Merlin can track the traffic generated by each individual IP on your network. This option is called IPTraffic. To enable this, you must first set a custom location to store your traffic database (see above). Once again, you must also tell it to create the new data file, by enabling "Create or reset IPTraffic data files". Once done, enable the IPTraffic Monitoring option. This will add three new entries to the Traffic Monitor page selector (on the Traffic Monitoring page).
You can optionally specify which IP to monitor, or exclude some IPs from monitoring. Each IP must be separated by a comma.
It's strongly recommended that you assign a static IP to devices you wish to monitor to ensure they don't get a different IP over time, which would make the collected data somewhat unreliable. The monitoring is done per IP, NOT per MAC[QUOTE/]
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/README-merlin.txt
It means CTF will be disable automatically if you enable Ip montoring.

I tested statistic by IP and Traficc Analyzer and statistic is other. By IP show other data than Trafic Analyzer by IP/Device. Why ?

There are three totally different bandwidth tracking features.

3) Traffic Analyzer: This monitors the traffic per IP and per protocol. This uses the Trend Micro DPI engine. Traffic is saved in /jffs. That functionality is closed source.

Just want to repeat this information here in case anyone has the same question as I did... I was trying to figure out why I was getting traffic.db showing up in JFFS while I was trying to store my traffic data to a custom location. This clarified what was going on for me.

1. So if I've turned on Traffic Analyzer (Trend Micro DPI engine) which gives me per IP and per protocol info I should disable IPTraffic as then I can re-enable NAT HW Acceleration (CTF)?
  2. In other words is there anything extra provided by IPTraffic?
Thanks