What's new

Transplant Router settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gatorback

Regular Contributor
I have two RT-AC68U routers with the same firmware and CFE

I am interested (but reluctant) to make a backup of router settings because I would like to swap the routers out with a minimum amount of downtime. What are the problems associated with backing-up the system settings of the first RT-AC68U and restore them on the second RT-AC68U? Thanks

Last edited:
I have to RT-AC68U routers with the same firmware and CFE

I am interested (but reluctant) to make a backup of router settings because I would like to swap the routers out with a minimum amount of downtime. What are the problems associated with backing-up the system settings of the first RT-AC68U and restore them on the second RT-AC68U? Thanks

As long as both are the same firmware (as you state) it should be very straightforward.

Make sure that only one is 'on' at a time though. ;)

Make sure that only one is 'on' at a time though. ;)
Indeed. I would imagine that you would be overwriting the MAC addresses of the second routers interfaces with those of the first. So if they were both connected to the network at the same time you would have major problems.

I have to RT-AC68U routers with the same firmware and CFE

An alternative would be to use the "migration mode" of John's NVRAM tool.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

It worked perfectly for me when I swapped one RT-AC66U for another RT-AC66U last November.

Both were running the same firmware version, Merlin 378.56_2.

Both routers were not on the network at the same time, as having 2 DHCP servers would have caused problems.

To avoid duplicate SSIDs, I think I disabled the radios on one router while I was doing this. I guess an alternative would be to move one router to a remote corner of the building, or maybe cover one of them with a biscuit tin :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!