What's new

Trendnet Launches 2.5 GbE Smart Switches With 10 GbE SFP+ Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
trendnet-web-smart.jpg
Targeting businesses transitioning from gigabit speeds, Trendnet’s new 1U rack-mountable 2.5 GbE Web Smart switches come in two different flavors - a 10-port PoE+ model (TPE-30102WS), and a 10-port non-PoE (TEG-30102WS) model. Both managed switches include eight 2.5 GbE ports and two 10 Gb SFP+ slots.

Other features shared between both models include web-based management; support for up to 32 IPv4/IPv6 static routes, LACP, VLAN, and IGMP Snooping; QoS with queue scheduling support; per port MAC restriction, dynamic ARP inspection and bandwidth control; and 80Gbps switching capacity.

The TPE-30102WS PoE switch supports PoE+ across all 2.5 GbE ports and has a total power budget of 240W.

Both 10-Port 2.5GBASE-T Web Smart PoE+ Switch with 2 x 10G SFP+ Slots, model TPE-30102WS, and the 10-Port 2.5GBASE-T Web Smart Switch with 2 x 10G SFP+ Slots, model TEG-30102WS will be available at the end of this month with MSRPs of $759 and $629, respectively.

That pricing is insane. Why would anyone pay more for a 2.5Gbps switch than what you can get a similar 10Gbps switch for?

That pricing is insane. Why would anyone pay more for a 2.5Gbps switch than what you can get a similar 10Gbps switch for?

While I agree to some extent. The basic answer is that you can run 2.5Gbps over cat5e where 10Gbps is not certified for that. The cost savings of not having to replace cables can in some instances more than make up for the cost difference of the switch (as long as 2.5Gbps is enough bandwidth for the requirement).

While I agree to some extent. The basic answer is that you can run 2.5Gbps over cat5e where 10Gbps is not certified for that. The cost savings of not having to replace cables can in some instances more than make up for the cost difference of the switch (as long as 2.5Gbps is enough bandwidth for the requirement).

Most modern 10Gbps switches can do 2.5, 5 and 10Gbps and still cost less than these products, so your comment is a bit moot. Also 10Gbps works over CAT 5e up to 50m or there abouts, so even though it might not be certified, it's not impossible.
Also, to date, I don't know of any network cards that are capable of only 2.5Gbps, as they're either 10 or 5Gbps cards that operate at a lower speed. Obviously this might change later this year if some chip maker decides to do a 2.5Gbps only solution, but it makes these switches a bit of an odd product, even more so at the asking price.

What 10Gbps switches can also do 2.5 and 5Gbps? I know of maybe 3 that have at least 10 ports that are less expensive than the Trendnet. The vast majority of 10Gbps can only do 10Gb (1Gb and 100Mb).

What 10Gbps switches can also do 2.5 and 5Gbps? I know of maybe 3 that have at least 10 ports that are less expensive than the Trendnet. The vast majority of 10Gbps can only do 10Gb (1Gb and 100Mb).

Most recent Netgear models, Buffalo and QNAP off the top of my head and I'm sure there are a few more. This is retail pricing, not MSRP. They might not be 1-1 in terms of features though.

I was wrong about CAT 5e at 10Gbps though, it's CAT 6 you can use up to 55m. That said, you can still use CAT 5e at up to 5Gbps with multi-speed switches that supports 5 and 2.5Gbps.

Right now, Aquantia AQN-107 or AQC-107 based PCIe Ethernet adapters can do 1/2.5/5/10 Gbps speeds. Qnap QSW-1208-8C can be had for around $700 which is a 8 port 10Gbps + 12 port SFP+ 10Gbps (shared).

There is no point in buying the above Trendnet at nonsensical price and that too limited to 2.5 Gbps.

Right now, Aquantia AQN-107 or AQC-107 based PCIe Ethernet adapters can do 1/2.5/5/10 Gbps speeds. Qnap QSW-1208-8C can be had for around $700 which is a 8 port 10Gbps + 12 port SFP+ 10Gbps (shared).

There is no point in buying the above Trendnet at nonsensical price and that too limited to 2.5 Gbps.

I personally would not purchase the Trendnet. If I was going to purchase a switch like that right now it would be the Netgear MS510TX. Though it is not exactly like the Trendnet, it is similar and more of what I would be looking at. That being said I only know of a couple other switches that come close to the features, ports, and price of the Trendnet. Thus I can see that some people would be attracted to the Trendnet. As far as the Qnap switch, it does not seem to be a managed switch, thus it would be like comparing apples to oranges. That being said the QNAP seems expensive too, considering it is unmanaged.

mikrotik has a 16 port SFP+ switch for $400 while ubiquiti has a 12 port SFP+ switch with 4 port 10Gbe switch for $500. Pricing for this trendnet switch already sucks.

Its nice to see people taking the initiative to encourage 2.5G and 5G.

Does anyone make a 2.5 or 5GB SFP module for the SFP+ ports? I would be interested in that also.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!