What's new

trouble with rt-ac68u and Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Henri Hemery

New Around Here
I all,

I've just bought a router asus rt-ac68u for my new home.
The former firmware inside was 3.0.0.4.384_20308-gead790e.
For the moment I am living in a small apart hotel, and the wifi is so bad that I decided to use my brand new router to amplify the signal for my android box.
So I tried to set the router to repeater mode, with the wizzard I enterd the parameters of the hotel wifi network, but it never succeded..I had the message saying to review the parameters. Tried again half a ozen times but always the same result.
I decided then to upgrade on merlin, version RT-AC68U_384.5_0. The problem remained the same, exept that, while plugged by wire from my laptop to the router, and sending many "ipconfigs" while the router was booting, I observed that first the router give apipa type address, 169.254.x.x, and then give an IP in the 192.168.50.0/24 network. I had never configured that LAN network on the router...quite strange no?
I tried with an older version of Merlin, RT-AC68U_380.70_0, same result..
I then decided to come back to an asus firmware, RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_21045-gb451ba1, wich il the latest one, and then the router accepted to work on repeater mode, get easily connected to the wifi, and distribute LAN IP to my laptop and android box in the right scope, the one of the hotel wifi(192.168.0.x/2). I sometime get disconnected and have to reboot the router, butwell, that's working...
I don't know if it is the router that is bugged, or the firmware, but I am really thinking about returning the router to the reseller, and I don't have enought time for opening a ticket at ASUS support.
Does you guys have had such troubles?
Thanks for your help.

Henri

RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U ?

My 68U got default 192.168.1.0 and only my 86U has 192.168.50.0, thats why I'm asking and those two are often mixed.

few will use your implementation, but quite sure your router is ok, only some firmware bugs, it is known there are old problems in AP and bridge mode but I dont know what exactly.

From what I’ve seen, one annoying bug in AP and Media Bridge mode is that they will still try to grab 192.168.1.1 momentarily during boot-up, even if they’re supposed to grab an IP via DHCP.

I’ve seen the media bridge kernel panicked when the main router restarts its wireless interfaces, but alright stability-wise most of the time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!