What's new

Trying Out Netbooks: Acer Aspire Timeline 1810T

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vnangia

Thanks for your review. I was considering this CULV as well, though I was waiting for the price to come down a little.

I did want to ask you if you've noticed any issues connecting and holding a network connection. My otherwise excellent (18-month old) Acer netbook had some issues holding a network connection initially, particularly if the display is in a normal, 95-105 degree angle to the keyboard, until I McGyvered it. Have you experienced any dropouts in your connection, either with the original or with the replaced WiFi card?

Thanks and happy new year.

No problems with either Gigabit Ethernet or wireless connection. I'm connecting to a G router, not N.

Nice little rigs.....over the years I've worked with Acers laptops quite a bit. Lots of people associate Acer with junky PCs...due to the budget lines they'd offer through some cheaper retail channels. But they've consistently made some pretty decent business level PCs, and many of their laptop lines have been quite solid. (they bought up Texas Instruments laptop division in the late 90's)

Even though they feel light weight and not very durable due the plastic, I outfitted a nursing home client of mine with a bunch of them a while ago, went with Acer due to their budget thus not using my usual Thinkpad or Latitude lineup. The Acers have held up well, no problems with any of them yet in almost 2 years.

For this XMas, I wanted to get a 12-14" model for my wife, as the Mini9 I got her last year proved too small to be practical for her. And her 15.4" was too clunky. I had my eyes on the Acer Timeline for quite a while, and was poised to get one...but Dell ran a special in early December with some of their Vostro lineup which was too good to pass up, I ended up getting her a red Vostro 1320 model which she likes. The only thing I had to give up on, it came with a 5400rpm drive instead of a 7200. But she's not a power user anyways, so the speed isn't too important. Intel wireless is def a plus...in my experience the 5100 and 5300 Intel wireless performs so much better than proprietary offerings.

No problems with either Gigabit Ethernet or wireless connection. I'm connecting to a G router, not N.

That's interesting about the G router... How come? </hijack>

The router wasn't the problem - no other device had an issue. The antennae were badly placed and moving them to the back of the screen instead of along the edges basically fixed it.

many of their laptop lines have been quite solid. (they bought up Texas Instruments laptop division in the late 90's)

We had quite a number of issues with the TIs actually, so much so that a $2500 laptop in 1994 had nearly $3000 of repair done over the course of three years before it was junked. That's an expensive notebook, no matter which way you look at it, and when Acer bought TI, that essentially stopped my entire family buying Acers for a good decade plus. But (a) the Acer netbook was cheaper than the comparable Asus EeePC by a substantial amount, and (b) compared to 15 years ago, the parts are far more standard today, and I could swap parts out easily if something were to go sour today. So far *knocks on wood* so good.

We had quite a number of issues with the TIs actually, so much so that a $2500 laptop in 1994 had nearly $3000 of repair done over the course of three years before it was junked. That's an expensive notebook, no matter which way you look at it, and when Acer bought TI, that essentially stopped my entire family buying Acers for a good decade plus. But (a) the Acer netbook was cheaper than the comparable Asus EeePC by a substantial amount, and (b) compared to 15 years ago, the parts are far more standard today, and I could swap parts out easily if something were to go sour today. So far *knocks on wood* so good.

They were indeed pricey back then...but in the mid 90's...so we all PCs. It was hard to get a decent PC without spending over 2 grand...not to mention a laptop. And a gaming PC? Heh...I remember going of 5 grand.

Anyways, not knowing which models were you getting, the software house I worked for back then, I don't recall a lot of problems with the models they were getting. I can't recall if they had differences back then between home grade and business grade (1 year versus 3 year models).

Looking forward to getting an Asus for myself soon, when I get tired of my aging Thinkpad T60P.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give the tray app a shot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!