What's new

Trying Something Different

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

on the home "landing" page - right now there's an empty block in the layout - lower right hand side - on this page, it shows as the "New Threads" block - so either a twitter block, or add the New Threads block there...

here... lower right hand below "Sign up"

lower_right_corner.png

Please, no twitter, or any other nonsense to use this site. And adding that is just noise for people coming either to the main site or to the forums for information.

Please don't support the latest fads on your site... the posts (both in the forums and the main site) are the meat and potatoe that keeps people coming back. Not the latest social craze to sweep the young and the bored.

Please, no twitter, or any other nonsense to use this site. And adding that is just noise for people coming either to the main site or to the forums for information.

Please don't support the latest fads on your site... the posts (both in the forums and the main site) are the meat and potatoe that keeps people coming back.

Have to understand that page-view matter for a Webmaster/Site-owner - I'd be willing to bet that SNBForums at the moment is driving more traffic...

SmallNetBuilder is more than just the forums - Tim's working, at least in my view, to balance the traffic across the sites, and both have terrific amounts of value... editorial/review content on the main site, and the tremendous amount of hive-mind wisdom here on the forums, present company included...

It's a fine line, and Tim is working hard to balance it - provide constructive feedback rather than just saying - NO...

Now if Tim can keep the Ad Banner guys from breaking things - the dead-zone up top, where some ad providers behave well, but others don't - this would help out a bunch for the layout if the CSS works...

snb_upper_banner_deadzone.png

I suppressed the ad just to show the empty space... clean that up and it might be good to go...

Last edited:
There is another forum site I visit regularly that has about 4X the amount of ads (actually ads and sponsor links) and has one of the best layouts I've seen. The ads don't bother me at all and actually get a few clicks from me (and is a site I don't feel the need to adblock)..

There is a single navigation bar that follows the top banner ad (which is about 1/3 of the size of the ad here). The rest of the ads run in a vertical bar down the entire right side of the page taking only about 1/8 of the width of the page. As you scroll through the forum threads, there is always a group of ads visible, but it's not at all intrusive. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
There is another forum site I visit regularly that has about 4X the amount of ads (actually ads and sponsor links) and has one of the best layouts I've seen. The ads don't bother me at all and actually get a few clicks from me (and is a site I don't feel the need to adblock)

I think as long as the ads are relevant and load fast - folks won't adblock things here...

Have to understand that page-view matter for a Webmaster/Site-owner - I'd be willing to bet that SNBForums at the moment is driving more traffic...

SmallNetBuilder is more than just the forums - Tim's working, at least in my view, to balance the traffic across the sites, and both have terrific amounts of value... editorial/review content on the main site, and the tremendous amount of hive-mind wisdom here on the forums, present company included...

It's a fine line, and Tim is working hard to balance it - provide constructive feedback rather than just saying - NO...

I did provide constructive feedback. 'No' is always an option (that shouldn't be ignored).

I can understand the need for ads. I do not understand the need to 'follow', 'like', or whatever the latest 'thing' to do will be six months from now from another website that monetizes itself by selling the users 'stats' (and hopefully not their personal info).

There is another forum site I visit regularly that has about 4X the amount of ads (actually ads and sponsor links) and has one of the best layouts I've seen. The ads don't bother me at all and actually get a few clicks from me (and is a site I don't feel the need to adblock)..

There is a single navigation bar that follows the top banner ad (which is about 1/3 of the size of the ad here). The rest of the ads run in a vertical bar down the entire right side of the page taking only about 1/8 of the width of the page. As you scroll through the forum threads, there is always a group of ads visible, but it's not at all intrusive. Just a suggestion.

Could you link it please?

Looking at the News page now that it has a few entries on it, I like the idea. Allowing a more direct interaction between the news and the forums is nice to drive discussion - the trick is to find the best way to expose those news to the forum visitors.

I would re-define "Featured" to posts that will stay on top (until un-flagged). And add a new tag "News" that will have posts fed to Home.

Then, for example, this post will have "Featured" and "News"

We're making a few changes to tune up the SNBForums experience.
Is there a way to get an RSS feed of news articles with this new layout?

The RSS link at the bottom of the page is giving me a feed of all new forum posts, and not the news.