What's new

Trying to figure out IPv6 with AC87U/Merlin 378.52a3 (CTL Fiber)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

millercentral

Occasional Visitor
I have a new ISP (CenturyLink 1Gig Fiber) connected to my ASUS RT-AC87U via PPPoE. Everything is working great, but I'd like to see about implementing IPv6 as well. There does not appear to be a great deal of documentation yet on the IPv6 options in the recent Merlin releases, so I'm hoping an IPv6 expert can help out.

Notes:
  • CenturyLink issued me a static IPv4 address. They apparently base their IPv6 addressing against that assigned IPv4 address (see the details here with a useful diagram here).
  • CenturyLink also talks about using 6rd tunneling for IPv6. They describe how to setup 6rd IPv6 for one of their modems here. I can not tell if that setup also applies to configurations with static IPv4 addresses.

My goal is to get static IPv6 addresses assigned to the clients on my network. I can't tell if this is a realistic goal or not based on my configuration and ISP offering. It seems like I have two different (relevant) options to choose from in the IPv6 Advanced settings:
  1. Static IPv6. Since I have a static address, is this the correct option to select? If so, any advice based on the links above of what to put in WAN Prefix Length, LAN IPv6 Address, and LAN Prefix Length?
  2. Tunnel 6rd (DHCP Option Off). Based on the modem config link above, it seems like this is the right approach. In this dialog LAN IPv6 Address and LAN Prefix Length do not appear adjustable in the WebUI. If I choose this option, do you think my clients will be assigned persistent/static addresses?
I'm still struggling to understand some of the IPv6 concepts (Prefix, Prefix Length, etc). Any advice would be appreciated!

Did you get this to work? I just got CL fiber but I'm trying various IPv6 settings, it says it gets an address in merlin on a 68U, however it fails all the IPv6 website tests.

While I got IPv6 to work (its 6rd style, not native), I found that IPv6 traffic was much slower (around 300mbps instead of 950 or so), and I could not think of any critical use for IPv6, so I just disabled it. If you have a critical need I'll see if I can dig up my settings I used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!