What's new

Trying to replace Google Fiber network box with rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Canezilla

New Around Here
Basically I need help replacing the router(network box) that google fiber gave out with my ASUS RT-AC68U. According to a support guy I need to set the router up with a specific WAN MAC address, IPv4 address, and IPv6 address. I have that info and the DNS addresses which is needed by the router when setting it up this way. I have tried several times to get this to work and it continually responds with the message "network cable unplugged"

I am plugging the ntwok cable from the fiber jack directly into the router by-passing the google router entirely.

Anyone have a solution? Idea?

TYIA

Zilla

there are multiple things that go into replacing the google box, a few settings needed, the result of this is that you wont get the full gigabit speed of google fiber.
There are also many guides for asus and mikrotik about replacing the google box as well.

I have also looked at replacing my GF box with my pfSense firewall....and find so many varying opinions and suggestions...I just gave up. The only real reason for me to do it was to get IPv6. Otherwise the double NAT setup with it works just fine for my current needs. For now IPv6 was more for me to just play with and not critical enough to warrant the extra effort and possible compromises.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!